Short stories anyone?

farmerisme

Have any favorite or interesting short story writers?

I like Stephen King or Bradbury ones... but have seen some cool russian ones by Leskov that I am reading now. I like this genre because to get a story started and finished so quickly (and have it be good) is really tough. I would like to read some more if anyone else has some good ones.

Regret a short story by me. All rights reserved!

It's a character study that I've been working on for a novel. I've been trying to practice writing so that the style, pace, language captures the psychological situation of the characters & events. Here's the idea of the novel which has the working title "Patience." ----->

How much patience does it take to sit by your mother’s death bed and watch her fight, and ultimately lose the battle for her life? Nobody is to blame for her loss, but Jim bounces between blaming himself for not being able to do more and wondering how she endured so much.

For everything there is a time. Patience, they say, is a virtue. Perhaps it is the virtue that gives us the wisdom to know when to act, when to bide your time, or when not to tell that crass joke. If revenge is a dish best served cold, how much patience must it take to wait? When setting the trap, how much would the average person calculate and plan. How much personal sacrifice would you commit to achieving a goal?

Imagine being a sniper, staring down the high-powered scope. Loosely sliding your finger on the steel of the trigger? Loosely? Could you hold a rifle high on a man’s chest, waiting to pull the trigger and touch the trigger lightly?

Would you have had the patience to crawl for three days through the jungles and fields of Vietnam to execute an officerâ€â€knowing that the crack of that one shot would alert all enemies?

Jim is a man whose patience has been tested. Watching his mom die, losing his friend, going into combat.

this guyz not bad. hes from Prague :)

Franz Kafka: The Metamophosis and Other Stories

Ahhhh, Kafka =D

I wrote a killer essay in 11th grade on the Metamorphosis, though I haven't a clue what I wrote about.

You guys should check out some of Roald Dahl's short stories. Not like the kid's books he wrote later on, these were some of his earlier works. I have a book of them. Fantastic dark humour. I love it.

Also, I wrote a short story about a year ago. If you wish, you can read it HERE. I posted the main page of this site a few months ago, but now that there's a lit forum, I thought I'd post it up again. It's not a terribly well written story, nor is it a very good plot, but I think it has its moments.

I have read alot of Dahl growing up (the ones meant for a younger crowd) but was still impressed with those books. They fit their niche very well. I think I will check out some of that other stuff by him.

I have heard of kafka but have not read anything by him... but I love eastern european and russian writers.

Chief, I really like your writing style. Have you started the novel yet? Have you written anything else? The scary thing about that Jim character is that he reminds me of myself. Perhaps that is the intent? Good luck with your writing, I would love to read more.

Hehe misinterpreted the thread and posted up my short story! I really like Kafka stories too, he's writing from such a dark era and a rough place. He's like an eastern european Poe.

My favorite author of all is Ernest Hemingway, and he has some great short stories. I love his prose and the way he studies characters. I would recommend them for sure.

As for mine, I have outlined the story and the concept, mapped out the chapters in general and know where I want the story to go. So I've worked on lots of pieces. My big problem is that the story ends quite differently than it starts, so I need to figure out how to loop it...in the mean time I keep reading hoping to figure it out!

If you've read Tom Clancy, especially Without Remorse, then my Jim character is similar to John T. Kelly AKA Mr. Clark AKA John Clark. The story focuses on the psychology and people more though. Glad you liked it & I hope to have more of it to share someday! I'll see what I can dig out to share of other stuff.

You guys should check out some of Roald Dahl's short stories. Not like the kid's books he wrote later on, these were some of his earlier works. I have a book of them. Fantastic dark humour. I love it.

ill do that, thanks