MAC V SOG

Chief

I just went to the auction and sold some of my mom's antiques to help put my sister up in a place and get her moved so that I can go to Las Vegas for my new job...and while I'm there I see this guy. He has the MAC V SOG tattoo on his left arm 67 (1967) underneath it. It was interesting watching him interact with people and how he looked at people and things. Gave me goose bumps so I took a picture of some living history:

macVsog.jpg

Sorry, I just figured it was common knowledge! Also, on his hat he had the Special Forces tab so he was Army not a SEAL or CIA.

http://www.macvsog.org/

MACV-SOG had five primary responsibilities and the capability to undertake additional special missions as required. Primary responsibilities included: (1) Cross-border operations regularly conducted to disrupt the VC, Khmer Rouge, Pathet Lao and NVA in their own territories; (2) Keeping track of all imprisoned and missing Americans and conducting raids to assist and free them as part of the Escape and Evasion (E & E) mission for all captured U.S. personnel and downed airmen; (3) Training and dispatching agents into North Vietnam to run resistance movement operations; (4) "Black" psychological operations, such as establishing false (notional} NVA broadcasting stations inside North Vietnam; (4) "Gray" psychological operations as typified by the Hue- Phu Bai propaganda transmitter. MACV-SOG was also entrusted with specific tasks such as kidnapping, assassination, insertion of rigged mortar rounds into the enemy ammunition supply system (which were set to explode and destroy their crews upon use) and retrieval of sensitive documents and equipment if lost or captured through enemy action. MACV-SOG was often able to use the intelligence it gathered for its own internal purposes as well as for high command special activities.