need a bit of help

:( i know all the servers are outa wack and the filters for everything is off, but i was playing tonight/this morning... and there were quite ALOT of people who refused to listen to my pleading for them to stop cursing and tking and so forth. what i'm wondering is there anything that i could possibly do to help in the process of getting them banned or kicked... an admin came in and saved us, but that was after about an hour of "please stop with the language.." so on.. this particular incident has been fixed, but i'm sure it will happen again. i really enjoy this server, but i dislike the fact that no one listens to me... is there anyway i can find out their steam id, or is all i can do is write down their name and keep saying "please stop", "read the rules".....

*sidenote* how exactly do you bind stuff... so when that does happen, i don't have to stop and type in the pleading, i can hit a button and go on getting killed... :-)

thanks

~spat :freak3:

'status' in console gives a list of player names and Steam IDs, among other info.

To bind keys, put 'bind key command' either into your console or in your config file. If your config file is read-only you'll have to edit the file; the changes you make in game will only last until you shut down HL2. Examples from my own config:

bind "b" "buymenu; status"

Binds a key to two separate commands. This is handy stuff, specifically this should give you everyone's name and Steam ID from every round that you used the buy menu (i.e. almost every round).

bind "F2" "ma_say Don't avoid the f i l t e r"

This is an admin bind, but you get the idea. 'say' is the command to chat, 'team_say' is for team chat; for a non-admin 'ma_say' and 'ma_chat' should both send messages to admins only. Remember that the semicolon is a magic character and you can't use it inside text you want to bind (because it will interpret it as the end of a command).

The quickest way to get an admin is of course to message one directly that happens to be available. Failing that though, posting a ban request (there's a stuck thread in the forum for each server) can sometimes get a quick response.

Don't expect all players to listen to you. Most that get banned are jerks, and most jerks are not going to pay any attention to you. Once they realize that no admin is around, asking them to stop will probably only hold their interest longer.

hey welcome to the forums

I feel your frustration about trying to get the server to work smooth and have players play for the objective while the mani plug in is being reconfigured to steams new update

best is to post steam id by typing status in console and copy paste to the ban request sticky at the top of the servers forum location

and by the way thanx for caring :)

Welcome to the forums spat, sorry that your first visit wasn't under better circumstances.

I think Mookie said it best, if after asking politely they still don't follow the rules, it's best just to leave them be and report them to the forums. I realize this isn't a fast solution sometimes but if you keep pushing them it will only fuel them and make it worse.

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
(edited)

I made a program specifically for instantly reporting rulebreakers. It "intercepts" screenshots the moment the game writes them to disk. It also automatically uploads them to imageshack and posts the image link + pertinent information in a forum. With the press of a key, you can report someone to the admins on a forum (or perhaps in IM on AIM) without alt+tabbing or exiting the game.

I made the program originally for a BF2 server but no one was interested in the idea. I don't anticipate anymore interest, no one likes change. It is quite a nice solution for this kind of problem imo.

Edited by ash-

thanks guys, i'll see what i can do about the problem... i don't mind bugging people about it, cuz i garantee i have a lot better of patience any of these doody heads out there! fear not, for if they annoy me, i'll just steal a TMP and sneak around till they're all dead.... you all know my potential

(i'm a ninja puppy)

~Spat