another new pc

flux

alright so i've been out of the loop for awhile as some of you may know. anyways, i got all the help and sites from you all here in the comp. section. anyways right now i have a p4 2.8 512 ddr ram radeon 9600 pro with all the goodies. i am looking to build another computer. but this time i wanted to go he amd route. i was thinkin something along the lines of the 64 bit or whatever if thats still around? anyways ive come to ask for help once again. i think i bought everything i needed thats case + insides for around 650 dollars about 2 years ago (when the p4's just came around). anyways, im not too fond of the amd route. i ususally shop around newegg.com and pricewatch. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks alot guys.

umm, you want to go amd or not? cause you contradicted yourself...

...but this time i wanted to go he amd route... anyways, im not too fond of the amd route...

right now you'd be foolish to buy anything but a new intel core 2 duo. the e6300 fits your budget just fine. take a look at the asus p5b for a mobo, and try to get a decent 2gb kit of ddr2 800 (pc2 6400). vid card is gonna be difficult if you're lookin to stay under 600. just look for a cheap pcie card. something like the 7600gs shouldn't be too expensive.

man 600 is a tight budget for a gaming computer. i don't think there's any room left for a decent case or psu.

anyway, post back if you need more help or can up the budget a bit.

ya thanks for the help. i guess i kinda did contradict myself. anyways that sounds like a plan going with the core duo. i'm not really on a budget i was just letting you all know what i was spending back then. i didn't know if the price changes were that much. but no i'm just looking for something that fits into the 600-900 range. but i am going to put something together after work today and see whats up. so what is the deal anyways with the new core duos? are they better than the p4's? what's so great about them? thanks for the help btw.

ya thanks for the help. i guess i kinda did contradict myself. anyways that sounds like a plan going with the core duo. i'm not really on a budget i was just letting you all know what i was spending back then. i didn't know if the price changes were that much. but no i'm just looking for something that fits into the 600-900 range. but i am going to put something together after work today and see whats up. so what is the deal anyways with the new core duos? are they better than the p4's? what's so great about them? thanks for the help btw.

Core 2 Duo and Core Duo are different things. Core Duo I think is basically Pentium D for the laptops. And Pentium D's are just P4s with 2 cores - pretty unexciting.

Core 2 Duo on the other thing are much better. They outperform the competition (AMD) in almost all categories even with the cheapest chips. That's all you gotta know prolly.

I'd budget my new pc buy at $1000 at least.

Core 2 Duo and Core Duo are different things. Core Duo I think is basically Pentium D for the laptops. And Pentium D's are just P4s with 2 cores - pretty unexciting.

Core 2 Duo on the other thing are much better. They outperform the competition (AMD) in almost all categories even with the cheapest chips. That's all you gotta know prolly.

I'd budget my new pc buy at $1000 at least.

vovik, core duo is NOTHING like the pentium d. it's based on the pentium m. on which the core 2 duo is also based. core duo is just for laptops where as core 2 duo will be for both laptops and desktops.

flux, just take our word for it. core 2 duo is the way to go for price and performance at this point.