New Mustang

Leveller

Not sure, I keep meaning to research it, but I forget. The article I read in Automobile (or was it Moter Trend) said it was computer controlled, so I imagine it is something like, but not the same as, traction control? Perhaps it redirects power in the opposite direction of the natural torque steer? I dunno, but I drove it and it works, I was really impressed.

I have to admit, with GM constantly a few steps behind on technology, that I was skeptical, but the Torque steer was definately controllable. Oh, it's there, but not like it normally would be with that much power through the front wheels.

Maverick' date='Sep 28 2006, 12:57 PM' post='368626']

Not sure, I keep meaning to research it, but I forget. The article I read in Automobile (or was it Moter Trend) said it was computer controlled, so I imagine it is something like, but not the same as, traction control? Perhaps it redirects power in the opposite direction of the natural torque steer? I dunno, but I drove it and it works, I was really impressed.

I have to admit, with GM constantly a few steps behind on technology, that I was skeptical, but the Torque steer was definately controllable. Oh, it's there, but not like it normally would be with that much power through the front wheels.

If I wanted a toy car I would want it with rear wheel drive. Thats where mazda got it right with the rx-8.

Previous Owner 94 Mustang V6

Problems:

Head Gasket went out at 70k, needed motor replacement

Muffler went bad 3 times in 8 years (last one in 1.5 years since getting last one)

Front barrings started to screech twice, needed replacement cause Ford doesn't use greasing zerks

needed brake rotors machined once

Broke radiator and they had to pull it and replace it

All that aside:

33 mpg when driven responsibly

low insurance when paid for

Not the best car ever.

i read the first post and briefly scanned the rest. very odd including an audi in that selection. i wouldn't be caught dead in the other cars listed so i would go audi without thinking twice and having never driven any of them. my next car will be a used 2001ish a6 2.7t 5spd. either sedan or wagon, depends what i can find. 5spd is rare in that car. 250hp twin turbo feeding awd will be fun i think. :D

my latest dream car is the new audi rs4. top gear loved it.

btw, it looks like hammond is gonna be ok!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/richard_hammond.shtml

Edited by Cujo

I know it was a bit of a mixed list, I guess partially because I'm here in the US and have never owned an "American" car (I've had a ford and a couple of vauxhalls over the years, but Euro versions).

We had a 300c as a rental in Cali in June and my wife fell in love with it, so that's why that one's on the list.

But, I think in reality the list is now cut down to either BMW, Audi or the 300C, I don't think the charger, magnum, mustang etc. get a look in, despite being a bit cheaper.

I have a Mercedes as my daily driver at the moment, and have owned both Audi's and BMWs in the past all of which I loved, and had no reliability issues with any of them. But I do love the look of the 300, and it is built on tried and tested technology (last model Mercedes E class).

Situation has changed a bit in the last 2 weeks though, and I'm probably going to be travelling with work significantly more often than I am now (Monday to Friday out of town at least 2 weeks each month) so we're holding off getting something new until I know how much I'm going to be around to actually use it.

Thanks to everyone above for their input, but let the car debate continue

Any time Level...out of your remaining choices I'd definately go BMW. You can't beat their maintenance program with a stick, and they truly engineer their cars well. I work for a company that is associated with automotive testing, and I happen to know that, when testing corning abilities and weight distribution, BMW measures everything down to how much weight shifts in the gas tank as the car corners.

Very detail oriented, and they have a VERY good maintenance program. You don't even pay for oil changes for the first 50,000 miles.

i read the first post and briefly scanned the rest. very odd including an audi in that selection. i wouldn't be caught dead in the other cars listed so i would go audi without thinking twice and having never driven any of them. my next car will be a used 2001ish a6 2.7t 5spd. either sedan or wagon, depends what i can find. 5spd is rare in that car. 250hp twin turbo feeding awd will be fun i think. :D

my latest dream car is the new audi rs4. top gear loved it.

btw, it looks like hammond is gonna be ok!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/richard_hammond.shtml

the rs4 is a GREAT car. but as I said earlier, it would be a beast to fix. And its more expensive than all of the others.

hammond was not too smart doing that stunt without any drag racing experience.