Car Alarms

Shazz

I have been looking at alarm systems for my vehicle.

I like in the area of one of the top Viper installation places in America. Right here in Tampa. The prices are reasonable. Only 20 to 30 bucks more for Viper from Python. From what I understand these systems are the same except for more accessories for the Viper. (right??)

Anyway, some advice would be greatly appreciated. If you had the chance to get any alarm system for your ride...what would you get...and Why?

I have a viper alarm for my car...though I rarely use it. Reson is that I have the shock sensor option installed ( its prolly standard now) and it would go off all the time. It would activate if some one closed their door just a little to hard, or if the garbage truck went by, or if you farted next to it. There is a way to adjust the sensitivity of the shock sensor but since my alarm in way up in the dash its hard to adjust.

Long story short all you really need is a blinking alarm light ( most effective, if a person sees that it will make then stop and think if it is truely worth it) and the sensors for the doors and trunk.

P.S.

Don't put anything on the outside of you car that gives people hints as to what you have inside (i.e. a sticker that says, "I HAVE A REALLY EXPENSIVE STEREO"). Basically the worst thing you could do is advertise what you have in your vehicle.

:peace:

what model of viper do you have? The one with the pager or just a remote?

Its the vehicle I want protected, not just the stereo. Thought about LoJack but they want a monthly fee. Why a monthly fee when you get a lifetime warranty against cars stolen with Viper alarms.

Is the Python and Viper the same???

The alarm I have protecs the entire car. I have an older model (about 5 years old now) and it only has a remote.

I don't think viper and python are the same company.

I would say something like LoJack is for very expensive cars (more than $60,000). Its prolly not worth it otherwise (just my opinion).

• 1 month later...

get the viper 971. i had that on my truck and it would do everything for me. i had door poppers on it because of the shaved handles, roll up my windows, lay the truck out (cause of the air ride), and it would pretty much cook you dinner. if you read this and have any more questions about it or whatever just pm me cause i wont remember even posting this.....

my buddy has a viper alarm on his truck, but yet they got his $5k stero equipment out of his truck in fron of his apt with no problem. Alarms are junk.

Was the alarm professionally installed? Or did he install it himself?

If he had it done by a company certified..he would have that stereo insured.

• 4 weeks later...

I was on vacation in Cali with my wife and her family.....

We took my car which "had" a nice Pioneer cd deck.......

Well, I made the mistake of leaving the face plate on my stereo on and armed the car..............

From the time period of 12am-6am, my driver side window was smashed in and all my stuff in the car was stolen($100 sunglasses, ASU sweatshirt), jacked up the interior of my car leaving broken glass everywhere, and they even had the gall to take my coin stash in the ash tray($10 worth)...... THEY TOOK MY COIN STASH!!!!!!

So it goes to show that the bad guys will take whatever they feel like taking, even your 5 months worth of loose change from Taco Bell.

BUT, to make a horrible story end positive........

I had full coverage on my car so my window was replaced (minus the tinting) that day compliments of my full coverage policy from Progressive Insurance and my stereo was replaced with an equally priced deck within a week, plus I had rental insurance so I didn't have to pay for my rental car while my stereo and the interiors were being replaced (cuz not only did they steal my coin stash, they also jacked up my console and part of the door molding..... amateur theifs). They could've at least removed my stereo properly so I wouldn't have to replace everything on the console. AMATEURS!!!!!!!!!!

So in short....

Leave all items out of plain view, remove any advertisements on your window, get a cheap alarm system and change your policy to full coverage .......

1. you get a better rate on your insurance

2. You will be covered in any damage without panalties (solong as it wasn't your fault)

3. What thieves can't see won't be stolen (unless they see your $79,000 BMW, then you're screwed)

4. Learn to laugh about your stereo being jacked..... I did...... I hate you Stereo Theives!!!!!

So to answer the original question:

Get the Viper without shock sensors, but with trunk release, window, and car start buttons on the remote. Those options make life so much better.

Edited by s|im smi|ey