Starter question

TheGeek

The starter in my car has been acting kinda weird.

Sometimes when I turn the key nothing happens. Then when I do it again the car starts up.

And then, sometimes I try turning it over and I get a weak start. Kinda like it doesn't really want to start. After 2 seconds or so it starts up. 2 seconds doesn't sound like a long time but my car usually starts instantly.

And then the next time I try to start it, the starter works fine.

This is all on a random basis. Is my starter going out?

Edited by TheGeek

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds more like a weak/dying battery.

When starting your vehicle, does it sound like it doesnt have enough power to turn over the car?

Watch your instruments and make sure your battery isnt constantly charging positively or negatively TOO much. Of course some charge is needed, but I mean one of the extremes.

It sounds more like a weak/dying battery.

When starting your vehicle, does it sound like it doesnt have enough power to turn over the car?

Watch your instruments and make sure your battery isnt constantly charging positively or negatively TOO much. Of course some charge is needed, but I mean one of the extremes.

I haven't looked at the battery level when I have that problem, I will next time. But the battery meter stays at the same spot it always had when driving it.

It depends..

What kind of car do you have?

See, certain auto-makers install security systems that recognize the shape of your key. If something foreign is inserted into the starter (even if it fits) the car will not start because it doesn't recognize the key image.

My car always TRIED to start though, so this may not be the problem. What happened was the fuel pump was disengaged because it didn't recognize the key image. It didn't recognize the key image because the tumblers in my ignition were going bad.

However, newer models just may not allow the starter to engage if the key image is not recognized. This would happen to me randomly and my car turned over 'bout 85% of the time.

I'm not sure though, but it's just a thought. Make sure you get everything checked out before you pay for a new solenoid though. It would suck to pay for 2 repairs when you only need 1

I checked the battery when my car wont start. Its fine.

One time it didn't turn over right away, so instead of letting go of the keys and trying again I held the key in the start position for 2 or 3 seconds and poof! the car started. I didn't jiggle it at all so I dont think its a starter key problem. I think it would be a good idea to clean the ports for the starter.

Assuming I can get to them. My car has proven to be a real pain in the neck for simple jobs.

btw, I have a 93 Grand AM GT with the 3.3 V6

(edited)

I'm not trying to advertise or sell you any products, but It sounds like your car is a lil "dirty". Meaning, there is deposits along your fuel system/air intake and internals of your car such as fuel/air valves and even spark plugs.

But I know Amsoil.com sells great products to clean up an old car. Here are a few that I have used on every car I was able to work on:

Performance Improver: put into your gas - helps break up / dissolve deposits in your fuel lines and anywhere the fuel goes. Eliminates stutters/knocking/flat spots in the gas pedal

Power Foam: sprayed into your air intake - helps break up and clean the air intake side of the car. Throttle/Vavles, etc. Please read all directions to properly use items

Engine Flush: This is used to clean anywhere your oil goes. All that grime and crud and crap that builds up is broken down into smaller pieces that the oil can suspend. It's used during an oil change. Please read directions too!

With all three areas cleaned up, your car will def. run a lil smoother and hopefully (like it has me) gain in performance/gas mileage/overall satisfaction on Amsoil products.

Also, it helps with maintaining your car, I'd rather spend $20 on this stuff, than a new starter when the problem is only during spark plugs or injectors.

Edited by ZesteR

Well performance is not a problem. The way it runs rough is the engine bobs its RPM's from 700 to 1100, and sometimes 500 to 1500. It seems to get worse when it rains. Don't know why. 3 mechanics cant figure it out either.

I don't think any of those things will help my problems.

I hope there is a test for starters.