2=1

dragonfly

ah.. well like I said, if you don't try to simplify the problem(like I didn't do). You never come across the division by 0. correct?

True, kinda. If you substitute 0 for your variables in any one step, you get 0 = 0, which you know to be true. Of course, that's a finding straight from the Senate Subcommittee on the Obvious. In problems like this, where you want to prove the end result doesn't work, you have to go through the steps to make sure they're valid. In cases like this one, it's a bit of a trick, because you have to do the algebra with the variables intact, but you have to be cognizant the value of the variables and how they simplify at each step.

The first thing I did the first time I saw this problem was reduce everything to 0=0, so I can understand where you came from on it.

Awesome, ebil. I laughed aloud with mirth and merriment.

Of course, Fail = No Fail...Actually sounds like it sums up my college experience.

"I see you have a degree."

"Why, yes, and I feel my minor curriculum balances out my poor..."

"Huh? What were you saying?"

"I was just explaining the transcript."

*puzzled silence*

"So, I see you have a degree. Welcome aboard."

Of course, at my current job they actually care about things like performance and competence, but that sums up the rest of the field.

Edited by appalachian_fox