Sooooo Uhhh...

anonymo

I'm somewhat surprised no one has mentioned the big (this is probably the biggest sports news in the history of sports) move that Beckham made this week...I mean...signing with a US team? Just wow...wonder who will win the championship this year :biglaugha:

Yeah I heard about this, 250 million over 5 years. All I can say is what a waste of money. :(

Not a waste of money at all..

The last 2 clubs beckham has played for (man u and Real) have both been the most profitable soccer organizations in the world during the time they had him...

can you imagine how many beckham la galaxy replica uniforms are going to be sold overseas and in the states?

Also - the Galaxy don't all of a sudden become an unbeatable team because they have him.. not by any means.

We'll have to see how many other international superstars come to MLS now that the "Beckham rule" has been implemented. For those who don't know how it works: Each team gets a Designated Player slot. League pays the first $400,000 of the contract and the rest of the money is the responsibility of the club for the designated player, with only the $400,000 counting toward the salary cap. MLS holds the contracts with players, not the individual teams and the salary cap is set at $2 million per team. That's why we haven't seen something like this before in MLS. This signing shouldn't be a huge surprise to anyone who follows MLS since Beckham coming to MLS seemed pretty probable when this rule was announced.

Names that have been batted around include: Brian McBride, Carlos Bocanegra, and Ronaldo.

Edited by meherdmann

• 1 month later...

Ronaldo would be a waste, depending upon which you speak of.

If you mean the Portugal player, he is too young/smart/good to come here. If you mean the brazilian, he is too fat/old/overrated to come imho. He would be a bigger waste of money than Beckham.

Beckham has fallen out of favor with England National team, sadly. McBride is amazing, and has no reason to leave European leauge.

If you watched the Real game this past tues. Beckham is the reason they played so well, he was nearly in top form and it showed.

He is nearing the end of his career as a world superstar, but he is still amazingly talented.

Only the greats can play until their late 30's and into 40's at that position. While he will be here for that time period, he would and already is being benched in Europe.

If the fire and pull together in the post season, they are always HUGE contenders to win. DC is always good, and i do hope the Revolution come back into form.

Either way, MLS has atleast 8 years of building before any big name European players even consider coming here in their prime. And for that to even happen, the USA need to atleast get out of group stage while in South Africa next cup.

http://www.uefa.com/