Motion M1200 Tablet PC

Flitterkill

Can you post a pic of it without the screen on? (full body) I'm looking if the screen is scratched.

And why are you selling it?

My lappy took a plunge of death.

OH! And

1. does it have audio ports?

2. does it have USB ports?

3. how old is it?

4. does it come with that fancy stand I saw in some pictures when I googled it?

5. what operating system does it use? (guessing xp)

VERY INTERESTED!!

PM ME!

Edited by TheGeek

We have a similar model at a lab in which I used to work: Those are amazing machines. If you're looking for a tablet to try out, that's a good model to start with.

Start with? for what I can see, it is an awesome machine, how can they get so good that this becomes a beginner model? :biglaugha:

GC Board Member

This is one of the first gen of tablet pc. There are naturally, newer models now, bigger, more memory, more power, etc. I would not be planning on running Vista on this, or playing CS:S.

Google Motion M1200 for most of the specs.

Firewire: Yes

USB 1.1: Yes x 2

USB 2.0: No

External Monitor Out: Yes

Modem: Yes

Ethernet: Yes

Wireless 11Mbs: Yes

Mic in: Yes

Audio out: Yes

PCMCIA Cardbus slot: Yes

As I mention in the auction desc., I'm selling because I just don't use it enough. Between my desktop with the 24" wide and the 19" std lcd, plus my work 17" notebook, I'm not hurting for computing power and mainly use those two. I wanted to try the whole tablet thing out so took a lark on this unit a year ago, to perhaps replace my pocketpc. Appalachian will probably attest to this - the handwriting recognition is amazing as the underlying tech is a digitizing tablet (think CAD) as opposed to touch sensitive. When I do upgrade my notebook I will be seriously thinking about a tablet/notebook hybrid. - as it stands now though, this mainly just sits in my living room, and even then, if I surf, its with the media pc on the projector (again - so much computing crap around here...)

My doctor has a newer gateway version of these tablets - 14.1 inch, etc. Looks gorgeous. This is 12.1 or so inches for screen and seems to be built like a tank relatively speaking. Unless your computer bag/backpack is filled with sharp rocks, just chucking this in there like a book is no problem at all.

No stand - just the tablet, stylus, and ac adapter. Don't even have the cover for the screen.

Speaking of which, it is fine - no dead pixels that I can tell (there might be though). The only screen scuffs are:

1) A totally hair line scritch in the lower left.

2) A scruff mark area where, at the medical center, thier forms probably had an enter button so the stylus always hit that place. No big deal

XP 2005 op sys. Aside from Vista, the most recent tablet operating system. Essentially XP service pack 2 with tablet stuff.

Office 2003 installed

Adobe Acrobat installed

I have "backups" of the operating system - never used them - just got them in case...

IMG_0528.JPG

Lower right scratch

IMG_0529.JPG

Scruff mark from stylus hits in same place

IMG_0530.JPG

-Fk

Quik follow up

Geek has dibs as first poster.

Someone else is second - Geek, you need to decide sooner rather than later otherwise I'll just flip it to #2. By sooner I mean, kinda sorta now... :)

20 gig hard drive (formats to 18.9) , after the operating system, Office 2003 and Adobe Acrobat has 12.9 gig left

Yes, you can change from landscape to vertical display - just a couple taps of the stylus to do that.

Battery life is in the 2 to 3 hour range. Closer to 2 when you are all ups in the wireless, maybe a tad under if you start pounding the hard drive in addition to the wireless. Works off AC just fine naturally, recharge is a couple hours.

And as for the "scratches" keep in mind that the surface of this is meant to take a pounding with the stylus - the underlying LCD is flawless.

-Fk

We have a similar model at a lab in which I used to work: Those are amazing machines. If you're looking for a tablet to try out, that's a good model to start with.

Start with? for what I can see, it is an awesome machine, how can they get so good that this becomes a beginner model? :biglaugha:

Because you're looking at specs only, whereas I take into account age and price. Plus, if you wonder how they can get "so good" you're not looking at the newest tablets IMO.

There are better tablets, for sure, but unless some jerks come in and bid up the auction with no intent to buy I think you'll get solid performance out of this without having to put a second mortgage on the house.

And you'd better bid quickly before I get permission to drop that kind of coin myself :)

*edit*

Yes, the handwriting recognition is amazing. It puts any PocketPC/PalmOS portable I have used (pretty decent experience up through 2004 models, passingly with more advanced models) to shame, and that's saying a lot. Plus, it can simply take notes and you can mark up just about any file you have. Great for use with Adobe .pdfs.

Edited by appalachian_fox

GC Board Member

What he said.

It all goes to the fact that tablets have the whole digitizer thing as the underlying tech - it means it *knows* exactly where the stylus is at all times - so handwriting recognition is amazing. PocketPCs are all based on touch screen tech - which isn't nearly as accurate.

I'm still waiting for the 15 inch tablet thats really thin. Might be a year or two away yet. Throw a 40 or 80 gig hd on there, only have two usb ports, wireless, and audio in/out. Keep the weight at or under 2 pounds and academia will take to them like (insert inappropriate metaphor here)

-Fk

I'll throw my hat in at #3, I actually got permission to contend.

*edit*

Man, 512MB sticks for this beast are ridiculous! Fortunately, XP Tablet has a very nice footprint, and an extra 256 MB stick would do fine. FK, according to the notes the M1200 has two memory slots. Do you know if it's 1x256 or 2x128, and if so, which is it?

Edited by appalachian_fox

Researching....

The thing I'm trying to find is how easily it is to upgrade, and IF the hard drive can be replaced by a larger one.

I'm going to post again in 10 to 15 min and give you my decision, I have the money so I just need to find out those 2 things.

For some reason, I cannot find ANY sites that sell accessories for this. Even their main site does not have anything, while reviews say that you can upgrade.

Can you give me a link? I am 90% sure I will buy

I'm out, everything I researched about this said that it was an awesome machine. But all of the accessories are EXPENSIVE. 3 pens costs 50 bucks.

Could not find hard drives, I imagine that it would be around 300 bucks anyways, since thats a ball park figure of what the DVD/CD-RW drives cost.

To get this machine to what I would use it for would cost me 500 bucks. Including the additional 220. so 720? I cant afford that. A little too expensive for my use.

Thanks for offering this AWESOME deal to us. And saying that I get first dibs. I was planning to use it as a fancy mp3 player in my car, dvd player, and wireless internet. But I cant afford 720 right now.

I hope you get bidders.

Geek, being as I wouldn't mind picking up the machine myself, I'm shooting myself in the foot here but I want to suggest something. I would do some research, but as I recall pretty much any USB device you can find Windows drivers for will work with the machine. That includes ANY external CD/DVD, HD, etc.

Now, if you still want it to all fit in the form factor of the device (instead of, say, plugging/unplugging when you put it in the car) there are some good 1300s going on eBay right now for what appears to be probably just shy of $400 when all will be said and done, and those usually have a bit more HD space and many have CD/DVDs with them. The 1300, I believe, also has built-in 802.11g, which the 1200 does not. You can get a lot of your particular concerns addressed through the 1300, it'll just cost more.