Good Muscle Exercises

nut

What are some good upper body Exercises? i have dumbells and a bar.. the bar i do hang cleans squats and inclined bench press (because i dont have a bench (sigh)) i currently do like 165ish on incline bench and for dumbells i do 35's. But i want to know some benificial other Exercises for arm strength/chest with the dumbells and the bar.. some i havent tried. i also do push ups and crunches.. i should probley get a ball because those are really usefull and you get that balance resistance.

any ideas? this can help out alot of people in this thread to.. who are wanting to figure out some good Exercise techniques.

Hang clean:

HangClean.gif

Bar bell squat:

BBSquat.gif

Bench press:

BBBenchPress.gif

----------------

any good ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

ur really limiting yourself by having no sort of bench or anything like that. Off the top of my head for upper body you wanna start doing deadlifts, which is a really complex and difficult movement, so I highly reccomend you start light and maybe look on the net for examples for proper form. also with the barbell you can do bent rows, cuz from what i read in your post you're not touch on your back at all which both these exercises do. also you can do fly's, whether it incline or flat, primary muscles worked is pec majors and secondary is bi's, so ur doing the do muscle groups you were asking about. any other questions just shoot, I use to be a personal trainer so i know lots of stuff, and im also pretty 'heavy' into weightlifting myself

I had the same problem till today. I have a handbar that weighs like 10 pounds and two adjustable dumbbells. All I have is a total of 130lbs. Most I could really do were curls and power cleans. Sometimes I'd lift the bar and over my head and do squats, but it didn't do much with that much weight. With the dumbbells I only used one with 25lbs. on it and I do that thing Twk or someone had mentioned with the 3 sets of 7 half-reps. I'd also do sit-ups and go to the track 2-3 times a week or not for a week at a time. But now we got a gym membership and hopefully go there at least four times a week. My friend came with me today and were trying to find some of my maxes. Only got to 145 on bench. On squat we didn't finish and I stopped at 245. Didn't bother with anything else.

Things I know of with just the bells: Hold your arms at your side bent at a 90 degree angle and... open and close them (dont know what that movement would be called), holding your arms straight out and going up and down, and then curls. Go parallel with the side of your bed, and lean over with one arm and knee supporting you on the bed, and let your arm all the way down to the floor, and bring it up to your chest.

Those probably are really difficult to understand, but I could drawn it or something if you need me to. All those can be done with lighter weights too.

careful doing heavy squating weights kruten, really easy to mess your back up, especially if you don't have alot of experience doing them. plus, at this point who really cares what your max is, focus on learning the gym and the exercises, and proper form for them all.

careful doing heavy squating weights kruten, really easy to mess your back up, especially if you don't have alot of experience doing them. plus, at this point who really cares what your max is, focus on learning the gym and the exercises, and proper form for them all.

It's not like I'm struggling to do something that's why too much for me. I may not have been able to do much different exercises at home, but I know how to properly do most of the simple things. I can realize when I reach my limit on something and not to strain myself.

If your starting to work out, you do not want to do explosive exercises, such as cleans. You'll tear the heck out of your body because your not used to it. If you want, I can give you my swim workout. Its mostly free weights and bar exercises so you can do all of this at home. Its a circuit so its meant for toning. I did the workout for about 10 weeks and the results are great.

nut

yeah that'd be great if i could have your work out plan. I am looking up deadlifts right now. want to get the max upper body.. i think im doing alright for being 17... i was in the weight training class at my school and i suprised on the diffrence. I went from benching like 65pds both sides on olympic bar to 155+pds. i didnt do hangcleans good till my body responded after all the exercises, i can do them alot easier now and squats just gets such a good body workout.

Give me some fitness plans.. like a 30-60 min workout. do it everyday.. i can post results ect.

:peace:

Explanation of the exercises will come later. I'll have to explain a few of them because they have some weird names. This is the workout i used for swimming. The first part of the exercises will mostly focus on legs and the circuit will hammer on your upper body. I'm aware that you want to focus on your upper body. Most guys want to work out thier 'pretty boy' muscles. Thats great and all but you'll look like an idiot if your on the beach and you have a ripped upper body and you havn't done anything with your lower body. This workout after 6 weeks will make your whole body solid. This will tone your muscles, since you havn't done much working out (i assume) this will make your muscles larger. My preference is if i'm using barbells that circuit training is the way to go.

WARNING: Please do not use heavy weight your first week. I would use very light weight at first then see how your body feels. If you have not done circuit training and you use heavy weights you will not be able to do all of the workout or you will hurt yourself. It took me 2 rounds of this workout to fully feel out my weights. (2 weeks)

This workout supplimented about 18 hours of swimming. So this focuses on endurance. If you want to do this for awhile to get an awesome muscle base for your own personal targeted full body workout, i recommend it. With this in mind lets move on

Everything posted before Circuit, have a minute break between sets

Circuts are to be done as quickly as possible, when you finish one exercise, move onto the other right away. If you have to adjust weights on your barbells, see if you can set your weights out so you can change them quickly.

There are 3 ab workouts, I have only written down 2 of them, I'll have to explain them in full on another day.

DB = dumbell

Niagara University Swimming 2005 Fall workout

Estimated time for full run: 40 mins

Day 1

Squat:

1 set 12 reps

1 set 12 reps

1 set 10 reps

Flat bench paired with Pitcher Squats (interchange exercises, do one, then the other)

flat bench:1 set 12 reps

pitcher squat: 1 set 12 reps

flat bench: 1 set 8 reps

pitcher squat: 1 set 8 reps

Plate Lunge:

2 sets 10 reps

Circuit x 2 (go through the list once, 2 min rest then another round)

DB Incline Bench: 10 reps

Bentover Row: 10 reps

Plate Raise: 10 reps

Inverted Row: 10 reps

Manual Resistant shoulder press: 10 reps

2 min rest

Day 2

Sumo Deadlift: 3 sets of 12 reps

Upright row paired with Incline lunge:

Upright row: 12 reps

Incline Lunge: 12 reps

Upright row: 8 reps

Incline row: 8 reps

Backwards Lunge: 2 sets of 8 reps

Circuit:

DB Shoulder Press

Negative Pullups

DB Bow and Arrow

Push ups

Manual Reistant Towel Rows

2 min rest

Day 3:

Side Lunge: 2 sets of 8 reps

Box Squat: 2 sets of 10 reps

Incline Bench paired with Alt DB Fly:

Incline Bench: 12 reps

Alt DB Fly: 12 reps

Inc Bench: 10 reps

Alt DB Fly: 10 reps

Circuit

DB Bench

DB Front Raise

DB Row

DB Side raise

2 min rest

I have homework to do right now so reply to this post, ask which exercises you have ANY question about. Most I can tell you how to do by explaining them, others im going to have to use paint with awesome stick figures to show you the proper movements. Hopefully I will have explained the whole thing by friday. I will post my weights for the exercises for a general idea of what you can start on.

I am 180 lbs, 6 feet tall with a moderate muscle base. Since I started this workout after 3 months of training (swimming and lifting) so you will most likely want to use slightly lower weights if you think you are close to my body size. Its different for each person. The circuits when you start doing them are very hard, you'll be suprised with light weights how quickly you will fatigue.

Post your questions and i'll answer as many as i can within the upcoming days.

nut
(edited)

Flat bench paired with Pitcher Squats (interchange exercises, do one, then the other)

Plate Lunge:

2 sets 10 reps

what are the colored exercises?

Edited by Capt.Coconut

Plate Lunge:

2 sets 10 reps

what are the colored exercises?

Only one of these are colored but i'm going to answer them all.

flat bench: just your regular bench, seat parallel to the ground, standard 45lb bar with weights

pitcher squat:

figure 1

pitcherfig1ou3.th.jpg

In a standing position, with one leg resting on a box or something behind you, bend your leg. Its a little hard to balance, you do not need to go down all the way, probably a foot or so.

Figure 2:

pitcherfig2ta2.th.jpg

Er second figure doesn't have the weights. Use low weights for this workout, balance is difficult and a big strain on your gluts. I did this workout with about 15 lbs in each hand, next day I thought i dropped the soap in the shower at a prison.

Plate lunge is where you hold a weight plate over your head, arms extended and then do a lunge forward. This weight can be hugged to your chest and a lunge done also, just whatever is more comfortable.

Edited by ich bin ein berliner