ATTN: Denver .GC'ers

Shropshire Slasher

Next week I'll be in Denver, CO for the American Physical Society March Meeting. It's an annual bore-a-thon with 5000+ condensed matter physicists descending on some poor, unsuspecting major metropolitan area and single handedly driving the local economy into the crapper. Case in point: Las Vegas actually told us NOT to come back. So many prostitutes and black-jack dealers went hungry that week.

Anywho...

Whenever I travel, I like to get the low-down from locals. So, if you live or have lived in Denver and wanna give me advice as to what to do, see and eat when in Rome... Please feel free to post up here.

Major Topics for discussion:

What to see? local sites, attractions, points of historical interest, scenic overlooks, etc. Also, insider scoop on when to go or how to get there are welcome.

Where to eat/drink. If you have a favorite place or places, please let me know. Pizza, chinese, Thai... whetever, I eat it all. Also, I try for one "fancy" restaurant when I travel. So, if there is a nicer type place, maybe a little more modern/cutting edge that you know of or have eaten at... I'll take the tips. But in all of this, local favorites are always worth mentioning.

Looking forward to the trip, am looking forward to seeing mountains up close for the first time (don't laugh) :)

Cheers,

SS

- if you're up for being lame, check out the colorado train museum in golden, co.

- do the coors tour in golden. the altitude makes it worth while.

- if you're up for being posh, there's a great cigar bar. if you're interested, i'll get the name of it. it's right downtown denver.

- there's also a great local joint in golden for pizza. interested, i'll get the name.

- and if you're into driving tours, there's an amazing loop from denver to idaho springs to central city and back into boulder. abort if snow covered.

my sister is out in the foothills outside denver; she's spent the past 5-6 years snowbumming, going to school, and finally getting a real job (+ marriage and the baby carriage). let me know which sound the most intersting, and i'll get concrete details for you.

enjoy! (minus the boring conference)

I live in NYC/Philly - but was actually just in Denver for a long weekend visiting some friends and skiing.

My buddy took me to this restaurant called the 'Buckhorn Exchange' and it was a really cool experience.

It has CO's first ever liquor license, and has been in operation for a very long time (100+ yearsi think). The list of famous people (presidents, royalty, etc) that have eaten there is ridiculous. They have a pretty exotic menu as far as meat - buffaloe steaks, ostrich, yak (sp? yack?), elk.