Very big and annoying problem

jb55

I could see the MoBo messing up a file. Figure the controller for the HD is on the MoBo.

I tell ya JB...if you don't see any incompatable hardware in your system I'd return that board & get a new one.

Your problem has to do with the change of hardware, if you replaced the logicboard, you have changed a lot of hardware components and Win2k and xp only allow 7 hardware changes without reinstall.

?!?! When I got my new vid card I kept switch them back and forth a bunch of times, Ive taken out RAM to see if there was a difference between 512 adn 768, I've disconnected hard drives many times, I dont think this statement is true. Oh yea, ive hooked up my usb ports after XP was installed and my firewire. So I dont think there is such a thing as a 7 hardware change rule.

Anyway dude, you got screwed on your mobo, Ive had problems like this before....I had a voodoo3. It kept crashini when I was installing XP, then the screen would go black when looking at jpg's. and I crashed everytime trying to play CS. I replaced it and I had no probs. Its a hardware problem. Everything was fine till you replaced the mobo, So more than likely that is your problem. You can sometimes fix problems by software, but with what's going on with your comp. I say you have a faulty mobo, and would suggest getting another.

Let me be clearer, there is a limit to the amount of instance changes. You can install all the hardware you want remove and customize and it will work. If you remove a HD with win2k nt4 or xp and put it into another machine, it will only install a limited number of those devices. Im not sure what the number is, but i think it is 7. Microsoft did this so that making cloned images would run smoother. When you install the NT series you see the "registering components." Its doing exactly that. When you all of a sudden boot up with 7 or more hardware changes, it wont install all of them. I am an IT, ive run into this problem before with Ghost and Rapid Deploy. You arent seeing it because you are not changing enough devices at once. This problem does exist.