Nepenthe Update: Mid-March 2007

Flitterkill

1) New tags for GC.

In case you didn't notice /-=GC=-/ is now GC][

Why? Bushwack has tired fingers. :P

2) Server names changed to reflect new tag

Both pub. and priv.

3) ServerLogo is out

Been fine for awhile. Might as well be nice to the Linux folks for the few months left of UT2004 (The custom logo would never go away on Linux clients. Not many of them out there but..eh.)

4)UTAN Ban Manager is now live.

We try to be pretty wide open here but I've noticed a few folks who have been very naughty elsewheres getting on the server here. With us not running AntiTCC and admins not always playing, seems a simple thing to do. For those not in the know, UTAN is the trusted Unreal admin network - folks submit bans for the peeps being naughty, if evidence is there, banned is they. Me English good quite. With the UTAN mut. running, it checks the master ban list from UTAN and they don't get in here. Global bans are only for the naughtiest peeps so, seems a sane thing to do. Granted, we have had so few botters on our pubs (knock on wood) and even when we did, frankly, unless they had their hax on 100% hitscan 24/7, I don't think any of us noticed or cared.

5) Ping kicker is now at 250 *and* only comes into play once we have 14 people or more playing.

Just to keep the rif-raff out.

6) A few changes to the server messages.

Mainly to reflect new server name, HWarrior as lead, etc.

7) Sun-Tzu SLE or whatever it is called is in rotation.

Seeing as our lead (ahem...) is distracted at the moment as far as dealing with maps, I chucked it up as Sun_Tzu is now eligible for TWL play. Eventually someones gonna use it - best to get familiars with it now.

Not much out there for new maps ONS wise - I'm thinking it is slim pickin's from here on out til UT3.

8) Server is pretty solid right now.

Believe it or not, the down time we had (very irregularly but it was there) for a few months was eventually traced to a faulty power cable. Who knew? Until I did the above changes, Nepenthe had been up since March 6th.

9)Be nice to our guest aliasers :)

We do get our fair share of competitive ONS players *and* old time retired competitive ONS players on Nepenthe. Much more often than not, they swing with an alias (sans any tag of course). I know our members know this but for everyone else, like our server spam says, they prob. are not botting; they are that good. And very welcome here! Moonshine rolled through a week or two ago - seems to do so from time to time - tends to pwn most anything in sight. A pleasure to watch.

10) Note to GC members RE: reserves

You got them - if the server browser says we are full up, go ahead and join. We have had reserves that add a slot to make room for you to join when the server is full quite some time now. I believe we have upwards of 6 extra slots. When non-members leave, the server player count just drops back to accomodate our normal size until everything evens out.

However - you cannot get an extra spectator slot - sad but true. If the server is full and the spec slots are full - you gotta join to play to get on the server, not try to spec. Just fyi.

11) Reminder: Once the UT3 demo is available, our pub will transition to it asap.

When the demo date gets out, Nepenthe will probably begin to run in "last call mode" with members and regs submitting their top 5 maps. We'll let her rip with those and the kitchen sink til the demo swith. Probably schedule up a night or two of 1 round "best of ONS maps" and give this puppy a good viking funeral.

Any other map requests you may as well drop in this thread. Or pester HWarrior :)

-Fk

Thanks for all the good work Flitter. If a guy is really good, I tell him he's botting but make sure he knows im only playing with him. That way it's a compliment :)

Looking forward to seeing UT3 on a dx9 7900gtx... just cause i dont want vista right now :)

Edit: btw, if there's a guy with some random name playing with the GC tag, and he's got my skin, it's probably me... :)

GC][evil

GC][dark

GC][nibs

GC][dr.EVIL

GC][darkyarky

GC][eye_have_my_sites_on_Dingy

Though, 999/1000 it'll be GC][dark/|rchon

Edited by DarkArchon

Thanks for all the good work Flitter. If a guy is really good, I tell him he's botting but make sure he knows im only playing with him. That way it's a compliment :)

Looking forward to seeing UT3 on a dx9 7900gtx... just cause i dont want vista right now :)

Edit: btw, if there's a guy with some random name playing with the GC tag, and he's got my skin, it's probably me... :)

GC][evil

GC][dark

GC][nibs

GC][dr.EVIL

GC][darkyarky

You should never talk about Dark Archon during a game. Mention a DA character trait during game like "he is evil" will result in egoboost as seen above :)

GC][evil

GC][dark

GC][nibs

GC][dr.EVIL

GC][darkyarky

You should never talk about Dark Archon during a game. Mention a DA character trait during game like "he is evil" will result in egoboost as seen above :)

Peer pressure!!! Dingy kept telling me to! :P From now on it'll be GC][HumblePie

(edited)

I echo the Great Work statements too!

Peer pressure!!! Dingy kept telling me to! :P From now on it'll be GC][HumblePie

Kinda liked the GC][evil myself (it should be GC][DrEvil). or, how 'bout GC][DarktorEvil?

Had so much fun with Dark that I think I'll alias as GC][Dark'sTarget. Lord knows he certainly

pwned me Friday night!

All laughs aside - I had a close friend that died and the funeral was Friday,so it wasn't my best of

days. Sorry for being a pill.

Edited by Dingy

I echo the Great Work statements too!

Kinda liked the GC][evil myself (it should be GC][DrEvil). or, how 'bout GC][DarktorEvil?

Had so much fun with Dark that I think I'll alias as GC][Dark'sTarget. Lord knows he certainly

pwned me Friday night!

All laughs aside - I had a close friend that died and the funeral was Friday,so it wasn't my best of

days. Sorry for being a pill.

You're too modest... You gave me a good work over AT LEAST 1/2 times I saw you, and only 1/20 times did I see you and kill you without losing over half of my health.

Sorry to hear about your loss :( I didnt think you were bing a pill, so if that's the bad dingy the real dingy must be REAL nice. Always a pleasure fraggin' with you.

Edited by DarkArchon

I have an alias...and it is

GC][i_have-too_much_time_to_consider_aliases

I'll be on nep on mon, tues, and wed...

oh and

Thanks for all hard work FK and H...you guys rock, no matter what I say about you privately.

and btw...please all post in my "settings" thread in the nep forum...