Brand new yet broken

ZeroDamage

On Tuesday of this past week, we had this Technical showcase here at work where vendors such as Dell, Apple, Microsoft, Gateway, HP, and others along with student engineering displays were set up. Companies such as Gateway and HP gave away some stuff as door prizes such as an HP work station with a dual-dualcore-Xeon, etc. Well, they also gave away a Gateway FPD2185W 21-inch Widescreen Monitor which you can read a review of here: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1921687,00.asp

That is really nice with the HDTV built in and what not. Anyway, the next day, it just would not power one at all. One of the students won it and it is basically dead. Well, Gateway just sent a replacement and did not want the old one back. Guess who has it now. :)

I am going to look into getting it fixed if I can not do it myself because it would be worth spending 100-200 on it to fix it with the built in 1080i HDTV capabilities. I just thought I would come in here and brag.

My bubble may bust if someone says it has to be inventoried, etc. I hope not though since it was a door price that got busted.

(edited)

Oh I remember the old Gateway "customer service" from back in the day.....

Our gateway crapped the bed and refused to boot into windows (even in safe mode), we took it in for service, and gateway took two (2) months to get it back to us. granted this was probably nearly 10 years ago, but my family swore off them forever after that.

All it probably needed was a clean wipe and fresh windows install, lol

Edited by boilersax

I had the asshat level 2 tech ask me questions like: "What button did you press to turn on the monitor" and they only asked me a dozen times where I bought it from after I told them each time I did not buy it. He then refused to help me and cut off the chat.

Haha...I had mixed experience with Gateway tech when I had a Gateway laptop...

When I sent it in, they got it back to me in 3 days flat...the problem was that I had to send it in twice, and I had to send away for extra parts several times in addition to that....that laptop just did not hold together at all.....

Talking to them was a joke though. I would open each conversation with: I've tried this, this, this, and this making sure to be VERY specific so they would know that they didn't need to tell me where the start button was. It worked sometimes, but generally...they sucked

Edit: Before they outsourced to India, most of the people on tech support weren't so bad...literally a week after I found out they were outsourcing, and tech support went to complete garbage.

Edited by [LaW]Maverick