Fishing over the weekend

Magruter

Finally got back in town, so i thought i'd share my weekend with you guys.

Just for a little past history, (all stories need a build up :)) Mom bought me a 1/2 day guided trip with Mike Koepp on pewaukee lake for a christmas gift. While i was thinking about who to bring with, I looked up and my Dad was pointing at himself, saying "I'll go" To be honest i can barely remember the last time i went fishing with my Dad. Well over 15 years ago. So of course i couldn't pass up the opportunity to spend a day on the water with the old man. So I booked a date without looking at tournament schedules, i just wanted to be early in the year. In hopes the muskie bug might bite him alittle. Only, to find out the WMT was that weekend (DOH!) with a full field of 80 boats was the day before...

Back to Sunday. We got up at 5:00am to meet Mike at 6:00 and the weather dropped a good 30 degrees from Saturday. We ventured out to Pewaukee only to have a steaming lake, which in previous experiences just aren't the best conditions to catch fish.. ...Well anyways, we hit the water. After about a dozen "professional overruns" Dad is start to get the hang of casting again. The 4 hours go by from the 1/2 and you can tell Koepp isn't budging off the water. After about 6 hours of casting into dead water, we decided we needed to take a lunch break. After chewing on a sub on sank's deck (Thanks Sanks!) We ventured back out to a what a appeared to be a sunny day. We worked a couple more areas, then finally decided to head to warmer water. In our first drift i popped a small (maybe) 30 inch fish (about 2:30). Was fun, did everything a 30 inch fish should do, jump, jump, jump! Alright things are starting too look up!!!!! We finished that drift and went back for another.

After about 10 casts, I hear what appears to be broken english and a bunch of grunting.. Looking over at dad, his rod is doubled over and Slob attached to the other end. Each head shakes let out a grunt. Finally the fish decided it was done with all the head shakes and decided to make some runs! Which may have caught my dad off guard, at one point I thought he was going in the drink... After a couple of runs, the fish decided to make a V-line for the trolling motor! Dad did a great job of steering the fishing away. Once he started to gain alittle ground on the fish I asked Koepp if i could net him, you could tell by his expression... "Don't F$@& this up!!!!" Finally Pops got the fish to the surface, and with a swoop of the net she was ours!!!!! After a couple minute rest in the net we pulled her out for a couple pictures, a measurement, and sent her on her marry way. She hit the tape at 49 inches!! This to most muskie fisherman is a fish of a lifetime and Dad sticks on his first time out. What an awesome moment and memory. Thanks Koepp for sticking it out, it was a once in the lifetime chance that... ...Well to be honest never thought would happen. The whole day was absolutely incredible! You hear it all time, "it only takes one cast" well now I'm a firm believer.

post-217-1179924792.jpg

post-217-1179924802.jpg

post-217-1179924808.jpg