First week with a dSLR...

Unclean

After a bunch of research, I bought a Canon Rebel XTi with the kit lens and a 75-300 zoom lens. I don't really know what I'm doing yet, but the pictures look awesome to me so far, and it's a LOT of fun.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/number_five

Comments and critiques? I know these could be way better. My next goal is to learn about f-stops and more interesting framing.

I think you're doing an excellent job so far...that one of your Dad's West Point saber looks great! What's the resolution you usually shoot in, I noticed that the resolution of that pic was actually kinda low as I tried using it as a desktop background.

I really want a dSLR, a friend of mine who's crazy into photography has 2 dSLRs and 1 SLR and they are just too much fun. I keep trying to take pictures of the sunrise I'm greeted with every morning (I'm on the 32nd floor of my apt. building and face east, I also wake up at 5:30am everyday) but my Canon SD600 just isn't designed for it :freak3:

i'm with 'mo; i dig the saber shot.

is this all self learned, or have you taken a class? my girlfriend is urging me to take a photo class as an elective, but i'd rather go through some good tutorials on my own. know of any?

This is all self-learned so far. What I've learned is mainly from other photographers, but a little of my own "hey, I think this looks cooler than that, so I'm gonna run with it..."

And you asked about good tutorials. Ken Rockwell has some good stuff:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

I try to focus on one or two things at a time, and learn those backwards and forwards before moving onto the next concept. I'd imagine there would be a similar process in a photography class. "This week, we're going to learn about lighting."