OCZ motsrteme 450 and 8800gts

quickfoot

My PSU died while instaling this new card 8800gts. before it died the card fan came on but i got no video, ocz is sending me a new psu but i have to wait. I'm sure the psu is dead, unfortunatly i have no other psu with pci power cable so i cant really try the new card to be sure it works or wasnt damaged when the psu died. is 450 watt enuff for a 8800gts i only run 1 HD and 1 DVD drive and 2 120mm case fans. My fear is i'll wait for the new psu only to find out its not powerfull enuff and end up waiting fora new psu after the rma. the minamum specs for 8800 is 400 watt i belive am i wrong, anyone elce with 8800gts here what psu do you have.

The total power (watts) of the PSU is important, but for video cards like the 8800gts, the total AMPS on the 12v rails is equally, if not more so, important. Most power supplies in the 450W range of decent quality/brand should have enough. I believe nvidia/evga recommend around 30 amps total. If your PSU has two 12v rails (most do these days, some even have more), then add up the total amps of each rail, and check it against what is recommended.

I have an evga 640MB 8800gts running with an Antec NeoHE 550W power supply, and it works great. That said, as long as you have enough current (amps) running to the video card and aren't running a lot of other power-hungry stuff, then you should be alright with 450W total. I wouldn't go adding a bunch of other stuff though, you're not too far from the limits at that point though.

good luck!

Personally I can't express strongly enough how importtant it is to use a power supply that exceeds your needs. I personally wouldn't run a 7xxx series nvidia or an x8xx series or above vidio card with less than 500 watts. While it does meet the min requirements think about playing cs:s with min requirements of windows 2kpro, 128mb ram and a 64mb video card - that would suck. Well pushing your system that hard for a game is the same is pushing your power supply that hard for a video card. It may work but over time you may blow another PS and then it may take your nice video card and motherboard with it. My suggestion is for an 8xxx series card or above to be using a min. of 600 watt PS with a duel rail or above set-up.

Here are a few deals on Power supplies. The Ultra is about the cheapest you can get that does a good job and has a good rep. I use one in my system http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...8&CatId=106 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817371001

OCZ makes pretty good ones too, but I have never used them personally. But here is an OCZ deal if you want to stick with them: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....001550+40000058

hmph, if i knew i needed a new psu i would have just got a x1950xt. well this ocz modstreme i have has 35 amps and says max load 550 watt, but why did it die? i did after trying the 6pin pci connection try the 6 pin sata connection but should that kill a psu? thats when it went dead made a lil funy sound but no smoke or burnt smell. if i do end up getting a new psu it will be at least 750 watt but i like the modular option on this psu. i never had cleaner wires before this last build. i just want a psu i dont have to upgrade for a while if i get new.

450w may be ok but it would sure be pushing it despite what it says your total wattage and amperage is. What is says it can give is usually at peak performance, not what it can give steady all the time which is probably closer to 80% of that. Be prepared to replace the 450 I think....

For some reason when I read your first post I thought you already had a 450W PSU on the way - not sure why I thought that.

I definitely agree with preach and ZD - go bigger or go home.

Like I mentioned before, the Antec NeoHE 550W is modular and works great with an 8800GTS, E6600 CPU, and all the trappings. I think the ones preach posted might be a little cheaper, but I'm too lazy to look myself right now. I'll trust him when he says that Ultra's are good stuff (he's running some high-end stuff with his too), and Antec has always made solid and reliable high-end PSUs. You really can't go wrong with either. With your setup, and as long as you're not looking to add a bunch of hard drives or optical drives or do SLI or something, I don't think you would need 750W or something like that. 550W would be just fine for what you have, as long as it's a quality 550W.

By the time parts get to the point where you would need 750W with a one hard drive/optical drive setup, you will probably need a new PSU anyway for connectors, etc. (just ask Cujo how he felt a little while ago about his 1000W beast with all those 6-pin PCI-E connectors :D)