Serious Comp problems

Guest TeKNiK

Guest TeKNiK
Guest TeKNiK
Guest TeKNiK
Guests

Well I decided today that I needed to get another hard drive and a new case and power supply. I picked up a new atx gaming case, 500 watt power supply, and a Western Digitcal 120 gig hard drive. I proceded in taking everything out of my old comp and putting it into the new tower. After we finally got everything in and hooked it all up the moment arrived where I tried booting up. We boot up and it doesn't do the memory check like its frozen. The screen shows hit del-setup, f11-boot, esc-skip memory. No keyboard commands are reacting so I am assuming its frozen? If we reset and I keep hitting the button to go into menu, it will reset itself repeatedly until I stop hitting the button then it keeps acting like its frozen. I don't know if it maybe isn't reading the memory? Any help by Homer and or other comp masters into solving this problem would be greatly appreciated. I tried looking at the power supply and noticed 2 wires weren't connected. One 4 prong in the shape of a square and a long white one I don't know which it connects too. Specs are.

MSI KT Motherboard with a Athalon XP1 1800+

GF4 ti4600

512 stick of ram

500 watt power supply.

Please try and help me out fixing this problem as I really can't live without a computer. Luckily I have this laptop handy to use but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

TeKNiK

A couple of things to to here.

Is the PSU Athlon approved?

Is the floppy drive connected properly (twist in cable goes on side that power connects to)?

Did you swap your RAM to a different slot in this process?

Your CPU heatsink is connected? (heat could cause the symptoms you describe)

Since you are in troubleshooting mode disconnect all extra bits - the new hard drive (assuming this is an additional drive and not your master) for one. (Your Master, Slave, Cable Select are set correctly?)

Try hooking up your old PSU (don't have to take the new one out of the case, just put it's cables aside) and see if it works. The 4 power wire jack is not required for your system from the new PSU.

Depending on how far things are fubar'd you may need to clear the CMOS on the motherboard or 'Load Default Settings' in BIOS as well.

Check all this and then post your results.

Guest TeKNiK
Guest TeKNiK
Guest TeKNiK
Guests

What is the PSU athalon approved?

I disconnected the floppy drive and tried. Nothing.

Didn't swap the RAM.

The CPu heatsink is connected. I didn't take off the chip.

I have no idea what is causing this. I tried disconnectiong the power to the new Hard drive, I just bought the hard drive for storage purposes and i put it on slave. I don't want to install anything on it. Thats about all. I may bring it to a local repair to have them look at it. Thanks for yoru time. Any more help if you can could be appreciated.

You could always put everything back to the old case & see if it works there again but what a pain.

And I mean unhook everything except the floppy...then try to boot to the floppy.

You should check to see that you PSU is AMD approved. Here.

As Gond suggested unplug your hard drive and CD drive IDE cables and try to boot from floppy.

Did you try hooking up your old PSU to the components in the new case. The new PSU can remain in the case, just run the old one sitting next to the box.

Guest TeKNiK
Guest TeKNiK
Guest TeKNiK
Guests

Yeah after trying and talking with a lot of friends. I found out that the mobo is fried. The bios isn't recognizing anything. So I have to pick up a new mobo now unfortunately. Asus it is. Thanks tho for your help everyone. I appreciate it.

TeKNiK

Thats why I generally don't move MB's...cases are (well, the ones I buy) too cheap to bother. Last time I moved a MB I did something & killed 2 out of 3 DIMM slots. Now I only remove them to throw them away.

They need to start making this stuff like lego's ;)

A $4 wrist strap connected to a plugged-in computer's frame does wonders for avoiding the static mishaps.

Of course, it coulda just been on it's last leg anyway. GL with the Asus!! That's my next board for sure.