i'm steaming about steam

Fairweather

well for the past week i havnt been able to connect with steam anymore therefore unallowing me to play sweet sweet cs :angry:

everytime i try to connect everything seems normal, steam says its updating, then starts to connect but after a long time connecting i get a message

steam - error

could not connect to steam network.

this could be due to a problem with your internet connection, or with the steam network. Please visit www.steampowered.com for more info.

... i whent to the site and it had nothing helpful/useful

it also doesnt even let me connect in offline mode/ even give me the option to connect in offline mode.. i'm thinkin to just pull out the old reinstall card on this one unless somebody has a solution

:shrug03:

well for the past week i havnt been able to connect with steam anymore therefore unallowing me to play sweet sweet cs :angry:

everytime i try to connect everything seems normal, steam says its updating, then starts to connect but after a long time connecting i get a message

steam - error

could not connect to steam network.

this could be due to a problem with your internet connection, or with the steam network. Please visit www.steampowered.com for more info.

... i whent to the site and it had nothing helpful/useful

it also doesnt even let me connect in offline mode/ even give me the option to connect in offline mode.. i'm thinkin to just pull out the old reinstall card on this one unless somebody has a solution

:shrug03:

you change any router settings in the past week?

Also make sure you're not using DMZ... steam doesn't like that :\

the reason you dont want to use dmz is because its analagous to running out of a trench naked in ww1. It doesn't affect steam's performance.

well i deleted clientregistry.blob from my steam directory and restarted steam and now i get this message

ERROR

Steam.exe (main exception): Unable to start Steam Engine:

*SteamStartEngine(0x12e86c) failed w/ error 201: Cannot perform this operation while offline

... but i was online

..well i'm just gonna take the easy way out lol re-install here we come!

• 3 weeks later...

Thats what I hate about steam, I have encountered problems before where steam would refuse to start, process would be there but no window would ever open. deleting the blob file never helped, even a full reinstall of steam didnt help it. This has happened multiple times to me, and a few friends had it. None of the topics when I searched google helped me, as it always said turn off programs that interfere, but none of that applied to me.

It really is truly sad that one program is so picky that a full reinstall of the operating system is the 'easier' cure.