Weird problems...

dragonfly

Ok, so I just built a pc tonight in about an hour for the camp I work at in the summer.

Asus M2A-VM

AMD X2 3800 EE

In-Win Z589T case w/ 350w psu (18A on 12v, seemed decent enough)

2x1GB OCZ Platinum rev.2 4-4-4-15

It'll boot to bios and let me in. I can change the settings, and save and exit. (example, using onboard vid b/c there's not card in it - I changed that right away). Set dvd drive to first boot device, second is HDD, rest are disabled.

Boots... SOMETIMES reads off the XP disc for like 20 seconds, but 9/10 times it gives me these weird flashing blue spots and freezes there. It'll do a mem-test if I enable it in the boot, but says it's ok and continues on to freeze on me. Every once in a while it'll say "trap - error" or something when it freezes, but that's about it.

Done all the troubleshooting I can think of. It's time for smarter people to give me better ideas...

Ok, shoot away.

try different cables, try a different dvd drive, try a different power supply. are the ram timings set or auto? try each setting. try one stick.

i always liked the inwin cases with their 350w psus when i used to worked at canada computers.

I just read somewhere that the cpu, since it's newer with the low wattage cause it's EE, it's only supported by bios versions 602 and later. Could this have something to do with it?

Already checked cables to monitor (used same ones I'm using now - cant be them). I'll try ram tactics tomorrow. Doubt it's the dvd drive, since it'll give me the error even when there's nothing in it (error is blue pixels on the screen, sometimes red ones, flashing...). Thanks for the direction point though.

Yeah, I like the case too. Small, compact. Only thing is, they left extra space instead of a second HDD mount.

I updated the bios (after several attempts - my first time, I'm a noob) and moved a stick of ram. Manual said to put them in a1 and a2, but the manual's usually wrong. I think that's what the problem was. When i moved it back i got the same error, so that's it. Thanks for the help guys.