Torrent Sites the same as Google?

akaM2

What are your thoughts on this article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...internet125.xml

Its about the latest torrent site Oink being shutdown. The creator of the site compares himself to google, that he just directs people to the illegal music. I tried it out and was able to get to a torrent download link in google.

Should what he is doing be illegal in your opinion?

his site exists to sponsor an illegal activity, google exists to help people find things on the web...just because a byproduct of that is that you can find illegal content using google does not mean google is to blame.

his site exists to sponsor an illegal activity, google exists to help people find things on the web...just because a byproduct of that is that you can find illegal content using google does not mean google is to blame.

indirect or not, it accomplishes the same thing

Im not saying his should be legal, but in the Swedish courts I could see him winning his case.

Depends on if he was profiting from the links...if not they don't really have anything on him (not like that will stop the authorities).At the same time that doesn't mean what he was doing wasn't illegal as the law is really vague in that area and there is very little precedent to go on. I don't really see it being legal what he was doing or what google does but that's using "legal" very loosely. I think Google and torrent sites are perpetuating copyright infringement according to the understanding of what constitutes copyright infringement. Do I think it should be illegal? No, most musical artists would agree with me to a certain point I think.There's a lot of crossfire in the international copyright world right now as laws are confused and confusing along with everyone having their own opinions as to what the law should be as well. So it's not surprising we see things like this.

but in the Swedish courts I could see him winning his case.
Yeah, that's saying a lot :biglaugha:

Ok....so something occurred to me when I read this...

With the amount of money, investigation, time, effort, technology, etc. spent on trying to take down these "dangerous" criminals...couldn't we be stopping things like...um...illegal gun trafficking, drug lords, organized crime, etc?

I mean what the devil is wrong with society today!?!?!?! Seriously! Who cares if people want to enjoy ART for free--hell, that's how it should be. I do care that some high school kid that lives 10 blocks from me might be able to acquire a fully automatic Uzi to take care of his teacher because he's ticked 'bout his grades.

Screw the RIAA, and screw the people that waste our tax dollars on problems like this instead of the kind that get people killed. :boo:

/end of angry rant, my aplogies