curious

A-MAN

(edited)

ok so most of you know me ive been around a while, started css in gc servers and in all the years ive played never have i been told that i could not say the word rape, i know the rules and that it is a clean server. but their was another player in the server who said something around "if you knew someone who has been raped u wouldn't use the word" then i get told i cannot say this any more... is for fun and games like to rape the other team, its part of cs. i was not trying to argue with lost just simply find out how this works, if i didnt like the word death does that mean you would kick others who used it like u did me? i just don't understand why you play a game that u kill people in and yet a simple word that intended for fun and props, to say your doing good, or killin it so to say gets me kicked from a long time friendly server? i just don't understand how someone can just come into the server say they dont like a word then its law not to say it. when clearly the word is used in the server every day...

ßig*

Edited by A-MAN

Thanks for posting, I know that you have been around for years. However, I have too. When a player made that statement, it kinda sounds like that word affects him. {I started to type up the actions that happened but it got too long, so I will just make my point}

If you know that something affects another player, why continue to do it? One of gc standards is to respect other players. While you see rape as a fun/slang word, it does mean something different then examples you said (and or but) over the mic. Normally I do not say anything when a player uses the word rape, but if a player objects then I will.

Then you proceeded to argue with me, while I was trying to play. I will kick/ban you 10 times out of 10 if you start disrupting the game for others. Especially when you start to claim how you know what happens when admins ban for no reason. Mav, another admin, even started to say for you to calm down.

And lastly, you were kicked not banned.

gg lost i will indeed not say a word after a order is given in the server. just a shady deal that one person dont like a word used every day in css and gc servers that is not swearing nor avoiding a filter, yet used for fun all day and he joins and the word is gone for good and will get me kick/band if i use it any time after hes there. i could see if i was using it in a negitive way or to trash someone or something but cmon now ive never known gc or its admins to let people cry about non filtered words and support it...

Like I said the kicking or banning is only to get the discussion of how to admin out of the game, and into forums. Which is why we are discusiing this here. While I appreciate your thoughts, I still stand by my decision to request that you not use the word, while that guy was playing. If you know something bothers someone, why continue to do it? Its not like the word is something that is needed to communicate. Couldnt the word owned have been substitued? Surely in context it means the same thing, but does not have a negative meaning. Or how about nice try instead?

While I cant speak for any admin other than myself, I usually dont kick for the word rape. I just simply requested that you not use it, in hopes of avoiding confortation. You had already responded back to the guy twice before I asked you to drop the subject, which you did. However, a couple a mins, later you start getting on me for asking that you not use the word. At this point you started distracting from the server, and your exit was assisted.

Sorry, if this is not what you wanted to hear. Just mearly the mindset I was in, and my justification for my actions.

I just don't understand how someone can just come into the server ... then its law
admins have this kind of authority because they have a tough job. it doesn't go unchecked, but i also don't think it's too much to ask you to respect someone else's request.

when clearly the word is used in the server every day...
yeah, uhm, i'm pretty sure it's not used in the server (at least ours) everyday.

Hey A-man...how's it goin?

This whole word thing comes up a lot and I feel it needs to be clarified for some people to understand what we as admins are trying to do.

Basically, most of us are not going to jump on your back for mentioning the word rape but at the same time, we do have standards to uphold and ignoring one thing always leads to another. At a certain point we have to take action and as I'm sure you know the best defense is a good offense. It's not so much that lost singled you out or was specifically trying to pick on you as he was trying to discourage you from using the word (because at the end of the day, we don't want to using words like rape all willy nilly, right?) and from encouraging others in doing the same. The latter part is the most important. This type of thing tends to snowball very quickly especially in the environment on our server. There are always people there who are holding back and given the opportunity will unleash a fury of e-thuggery the likes of which we endeavor to keep off the server. If these people get the slightest hint that admins are backing off or slacking off then we can lose control of the server and that always sucks. Hope this makes it clearer as to why we seem a little "short tempered" or quick to act in some situations. Nothing personal, but I'm sure you know that.

I find the usage of the word rape in the server despicable. Having known 2 young women who were brutally raped and murdered I fail to see any justification fro using that word in any "fun" way. Rape isn't fun any way you look at it.

Point blank. Rape is offensive in it's very essence. There is no "fun" meaning of it. Like Lost said, there are many other ways to convey the same thing in game, owned, pwnt, lawlz, nt, whatever. No need to use rape, unless you think rape is fun, and I seriously hope you do not.