subwoofer question

what does it mean when a subwoofer is magnetically shielded? i'm planning on buying these speakers

http://www.amazon.com/review/R247ONQRGEA78...#R247ONQRGEA781

but then the top review said that these speakers are not magnetically shielded so i should avoid putting them near my HD and monitor...how far should i put them? will it cause permanent dmg? does it only affect CRTs?

thanks

Well like all speakers, subs have electromagnets in them which is what produces the sound waves in air. On a subwoofer, the magnet is obviously much larger and stronger. Most good subs are magnetically sheilded as they tend to (for a lack of a better way to describe it) produce more magnetism, to the point where they could irreparably damage other electronics.

As for how far you should keep the sub from your other electronics I can't say for sure and wouldn't want to tell you something and have it turn out to be a few feet short...no, I highly recommend if you're going to buy a subwoofer that you get a shielded one, unless of course it's going behind your couch well away from any other electronics.

Then again the magnetic field probably isn't bigger than a couple feet in diameter.

Speakers have magnets inside, doesn't matter if they are being played or not. Magnets can totally mess up a TV or a CRT monitor if left near by for a short period of time. Same thing with audio tapes and hard drives as they are both record their data magnetically. Put a large magnet (or speaker magnet ) on a hard drive and watch your data get scrambled. Biggest concern is people putting speakers next to their TVs and monitors which will cause permanent screen discoloration. While it looks really cool while you do it, it will cause the screen to warp like an acid trip and will lead to permanent brain damage. With shielded speakers you can put them any where you want without and worries.

BTW I have the same set of speakers and they are nice for the price. They look good to boot. I have mine on the floor less then a foot away from a computer and had no problems. People have more problems with home audio speakers. Large ones have huge magnet structures that will warp a TV even at a couple of feet. This one is little so if you have CRT I would keep it at least a foot away to be on the safe side, or just put it on the floor. If you have a LCD then no worries, they work on a different principle then CRTs.

Edited by bushwack

if something bad happens, how long will it take to find out? i mean, will my harddrive be corrupted instantly? and normally is the computer case good enough to protect against the magnetism?

Like I said I have the exact speaker system. I just put one of the satellites next to my CRT with no probs. BUT when I put the subwoofer next to my CRT the scrren started to looko like a rainbow. It was within 6 inches before it started to affect it. Just keep the sub at least a foot if not more from a CRT and at least a foot from your computer to be on the safe side. Im not about to test the sub vs. comp distance...

Sub should be on the floor anyway if possible, since it's not directional. You will notice it much more with the sub because it has a stronger magnet inside it. Your monitor should have a function called degauss for when you may accidentally get the sub 3 inches from it and discolour it. Degaussing the monitor is basically like re-polarizing (de-polarizing?) it afaik.