ps2...which one?

lazarus

So I convinced the wife to get me a new ps2 for valentines day, and I want to do this right. Should I get the old school fat-form, the black slim, or the slim sliver? I've been trying to get a sense of which would be the best for me, but I'm not sure. That's why I've come to you.

All we really play on is, Guitar Hero 1,2,3, Rockband, and Singstar.

And to give you a little background, I bought my last one on craigslist and it held up for 6 months. It froze on me during RockBand, and when I tried to fix it, I broke it beyond repair. So now I want to make sure I get the best most reliable one for my needs.

What do yall think? Who owns one of these things, or has owned one, that can chime in and let me knows whasup.

Do NOT get an old-school fat-form version. I had two of those die on me. After the second one died, I got the slim one as my warranty replacement, and had no issues with it. As for silver or black, that's personal preference. The only issue with the slim one is that if you bump or tap the lid of the CD portion while playing it can cause your game to lock up, but that shouldn't be a big problem.

Buy a black/silver slim one. Be happy.

Yeah the old version of the PS2 (fat one) had more problems and a higher fail rate that any other console to date, stay away!

The slim PS2 is the way to go, especially considering you should be able to find one for pretty cheap these days.

so ive read a bunch of online comparisons and i think the slim is definitely the way to go. seems the fat one had alot of disk read errors and the early slims had heat issues. but with the newers one, doesnt seem to be a problem

now the question is, where do i find the best deal. amazon has got it for 120 with 3 dollar overnight shipping. not really sure where else to buy one from. i don't want to ebay it.

so any suggestions would be awesome.

Well, considering you can get it new off a store shelf for $130 there's no point in getting it online unless you find a super deal including shipping. Your best bet might be craigslist or a used game store in your area.

My opinion is that for such a small amount of money you should just buy it new. The aggravation of getting a used unit that fails and can not be returned or repaired is not worth the money (maximum $50) you'll save.