DEAL: Crucial 4GB Laptop RAM

ZesteR

32-bit OS's only see around 3581MB out of 4096MB.

shucks.

From what I gather from random websites I've been seeing that while Windows doesn't show you the full 4gb, it is still using it...hopefully cujo can weigh in on that as I've only seen this recently and used to be under the impression that Windows can not even use it...

I know that with OS X I have read the opposite. It shows 4GB but only uses 3GB.

This is very true... After the Santa Rosa chip, it's able to read 4GB, but pre SR = can only read 3GB.

I have a pre SR Macbook Pro as well, and this is the max it can read, but it's still FAST!

Remember, the limitation is in the 32bit part of the OS, not the particular OS. Every 32bit OS will have the same limitation unless specific "hacks" have been written in. And yes I'm calling them hacks. If by definition, the max for a 32bit OS is 4GB total system memory (ram, vid card mem, other peripheral mem, etc), then coding your 32bit OS to ignore/violate this, is a hack.

Remember, the limitation is in the 32bit part of the OS, not the particular OS. Every 32bit OS will have the same limitation unless specific "hacks" have been written in. And yes I'm calling them hacks. If by definition, the max for a 32bit OS is 4GB total system memory (ram, vid card mem, other peripheral mem, etc), then coding your 32bit OS to ignore/violate this, is a hack.

I don't even know what you just said... Is this English? :freak: