Case modding help

Preacher

I've got an Ultra Microfly case like this one and I would like to add some extra fans.

Has anyone here ever used a hole saw on Plexiglas? I have drilled holes in i before without problems but I want to drill out a large hole for my 80mm fans. I'm adding an 80mm fan to both sides pushing air in on the video card and the CPU and a 120mm exhaust fan on top to remove heat. I just got the fans and grills today and I bought a doorknob hole saw. Has anyone done this? If so how did it go and what did you use to remove plastic residue after the holes were drilled?

FYI: I am using Antec 3 speed green LED fans that have a control switch that I glued to the sides of the fans.

Also just fyi I am doing this for looks more than for cooling since cooling isn't an issue at all lol

I put two 4" cold cathode tubes and a 120mm thermaltake exhaust fan in the rear (all green)

I have an Official VI fan grill for one 80mm fan, a counterstrike grill for the other side and a cheap but cool looking 120mm grill.

Anyway any thoughts?

I have never modded a case before, but I've done loads of projects with saws, etc. I wouldn't try to use a hole saw for drilling door knob holes on plexiglass - the teeth are coarse and meant for chewing up wood. They would shred your plexiglass and leave you crying.

IMO, a Dremel tool would be your best bet - mark out the circle you want to cut out with a marker or something, then carefully go around the circle with a dremel. The fine bur would be much easier on the material. Granted it's tougher to get a perfect circle free-handing a dremel, but it won't chew up your case. The idea is similar to why there are different blades and teeth for cutting metal and wood. You need a different approach for different materials. Drill a hole in the plexiglass to use as a starter point for the dremel, but definitely do NOT use a hole saw on it.

I got impatient and did it before anyone responded lol. It actually worked out really well. The only adverse effect was the fact that the hole had a ton of plastic splinters around the edges. I just scraped at it with my fingers and most of it came off. I'll post a picture or two later. It turned out to be kinda cool, although the aerodynamics are not as smooth so it doesn't fly anymore lol.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Dremel was the tool you wanted to use. Draw the cut out you wanted onto the plexiglass with some removable marker, drill holes along BUT inside he outline, use the Dremel and the proper bit (look up which one...dunno it off the top of my head) to cut from drill hole to drill hole (this is so the melting of the plexiglass from the bit friction is kept to a minimum), then use the buffing bit to get rid of the "splinters" and smooth/polish the cutout.

I had to "modify" my Koolance case when I replaced the PSU cuz the new PSU had and intake and an exhaust fan and the psu placement put it on a shelf that would have blocked the airflow from the intake.

ADDED:

Found out the cutting bit is multipurpose cutting bit #561.

Edited by dwEEziL