Itunes help

Mossad

I've never owned a ipod or iphone so I'm pretty new to all this stuff. Anyhow I downloaded iTunes i preparation for the iPhone that I plan on picking up tomorrow and wanted to get all my cd's on the computer. So anyhow, every time I try to import a CD into itunes it gets about 80% done then iTunes gets an error and shuts down. Any ideas? Any other ways to get songs onto iTunes?

one of the major reasons I have stayed away from the iphone/ipod is that Im forced to use some bloated software. Actually I owned an ipod way back and I do believe there were some open source stuff out there, which was far less bloated and allows for much easier use of transfering songs over.

iTunes on Windows IS a pretty horrible piece of software. I recommend getting a Mac. iTunes on OS X is beautiful.

:)

Yes you can rip the music using another means and just add the ripped files to iTunes. There is a setting in itunes that says whether or not to copy music to your itunes folder when importing. If you rip the files straight to your music folder I suggest turning that off (or you'll have double the files).

Have you tried removing and reinstalling itunes? It sounds like you could have a wonky install.

Side note: Firefox spellchecker doesn't recognize "itunes" but it DOES recognize "wonky". Weird.

Any other ways to get songs onto iTunes?

i hate itunes for ripping cds and managing my music, but its a necessary evil to get music from your computer to your phone/device (not rly, but that's beyond the scope of this post :D)

ripping your music

to rip your music from cd, i strongly encourage you to take the time to learn from this guide: http://www2.firehose.us:81/~jiggafellz/eac/index.html

it will produce superior sounding rips and will be compatible with your iphone/ipod -- just rip to MP3 (personally i prefer mp3 -V0). rip your music to a specific directory, anyone you prefer. i have my mp3's all ripped to my external usb drive.

importing your music

launch itunes. cancel any wizards that popup. go into preferences (edit, preferences).

click on the advanced tab.

in the general sub tab, uncheck "keep my itunes music folder organized"and "copy files to itunes music folder when adding to library."

--> this enables itunes just to link to your music, but doesn't rename anything, move things, or touch your files.

click ok.

click file, add folder to library. choose the folder you ripped your music to.

itunes will link the files to itunes, will show up in your library/music, but won't get copied or moved anywhere.

make sense? post any questions....