iPhone 2.0 Jail Break and other pains

I am quite annoyed with the 2.0 firmware right now. There are a couple of things lacking and with a lot of reading, I am not sure if it will get any better. The App Store is all fine and dandy but it limits what 3rd party developers can do. Because of the limitations, I will never seen a sanctioned Skype client, ssh client, a more useful camera application, etc. You may as well forget about ever seeing Flash running on there and you may as well forget about watching Hulu on the iPhone or ever using something besides the awful Safari browser. Blah.

If I want to jailbreak my 2.0 iPhone right now, I will need a Mac since the process isn't working on Windows yet AND most of the apps haven't been converted over to work on the new Installer.app process. It is all annoying. Anyone else feeling these pains?

people advertise on craigslist that they will come over and jailbreak the phone for 35 bucks or so. But I'm not feeling your pain because I really don't understand what jailbreaking is, and if there is a risk to getting my phone turned off for doing it.

mossad, don't consider paying anyone to jailbreak your phone. if you ever want to, just post here. i'm sure one of us will help you step by step.

what's jailbreaking? the apps you can download in the app store have to play by apple's rules. for the most part, this means applications can't stay running in the background (for example, look at your windows system tray in the lower right). that limits a lot of applications, like skype, that need to always be running, at least to receive incoming calls. jailbreaking a phone means running a tool that allows you to install unofficial applications onto your iphone. a lot of people (me included) like the apps you can install with jailbreak over what you're limited to in the app store.

zd, is there another reason you think the skype app won't be available? i thought i heard it was coming (not for skype in), but i think that's beside the point for you. the last time gui's started coming out for the iphone edge, they started with mac only, then windows, then mac ppc. it's just a matter of time (probably not much time) before you can run it from windows. i wouldn't recommend using the apple store's macs to jailbreak your phone :D

have you at all looked into rolling back to 1.1.4, or did you buy a 3g?

I like the 2.0 to be honest. I would not think of rolling back but I do miss a couple of my applications from the jail broken 1.4. I miss my SSH client. I miss the iphonevideorecorder (.com) and I miss the IM client that I had which integrated SIP and Skype (Fring). The 2.0 firmware is a little buggy at times the way it is now for me. Occasional lock-ups, slower performance, etc. Sort of like going from XP to Vista but for the iPhone. (I am still using the Edge model but my wife loved how it takes good pictures and now she wants it which means a 3G model for me in the near future).

Mossad, I explained the jail break to you in another thread. You must have no read it. It is basically a hack that lets unofficial 3rd party apps to be installed on the iphone. That includes apps that run in the background all the time.

I enjoy the Mac OS a bit more than I did before. I just prefer my Ubuntu setup and right now, that box is dead (mobo failure). I will have some hardware for sale shortly (minus the memory and motherboard) including a Athlon 64 3500 (939-pin), ATI 7500 All-in-Wonder (AGP), and maybe another item or two. The RAM is going to my brother in law who has an older HP with only 256 MB of RAM in it running XP. PAINFUL!

I did finally figure out how to install 3rd party certificates on the iphone. I still cannot get exchange to work on it because of Apple's way of working with the Exchange servers via Active Sync. I would be happier if the iPhone connected in the way that the Mac OS does when using Entourage. (through an exchange frontend using an https based address)

zd I did read what you posted but I guess I'm concerned with the reprecussions from jail breaking the phone. I've heard that you can make your phone a nice paper weight if apple catches on. Also. Since I'm new to the iPhone I'm very happy with it right now and I'm not sure if I need to do it. Anyhow I'll just keep reading the stuff in the forums and learning how to do all this stuff.

The video app (like many others) don't yet work with the 2.0 firmware, so if you want to jailbreak your phone you have to go back to the 1.4 firmware which means you don't get the App Store.

I have jailbroken every iphone I've had (a total of 3 now) and have reverted to no jailbreak pretty soon afterward. I just never found anything that made me REALLY want to have it jailbroken. Especially right now with 2.0 because the only apps really available are things that change how the iphones interface looks or things that are important for App Developers.

My next phone will be the new iPhone but right now there's none to be had at the local AT&T store and I can't order it online because my account is tied into my discount for working at VT and it won't give me the option to order an iPhone cuz I can't get the hw discount on it (See, I go to AT&T's site, click on Store, and it forces me to login before showing me anything).