Graphic Card questions

Wolfsblood

First off, thanks to m0m and Cujo for helping me troubleshoot my system problems at Fragfest this year. The updated drivers helped, but sadly the problem still exists to a certain extent. I think I've been able to determine that it's the video card, and not the soundcard like we thought before. That's where the PCIE part of my question come into play. I had been using a Gigabyte 8800gt in my system for most of this year. When I put that card into the system, multiplayer games cause the system to shut down. It's not even just if I play a multiplayer game, but if the game supports it, or I run it through steam it will shut down the system. As a control, I put one of my old 6600gt's in and voila, no more crashing. I know my mobo is PCIE 1.x because it's an Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe mobo that's over 3 years old. Would it be something bad on the card, or is PCIE 2.0 not totally backward compatible with 1.x?

Next question.

Needed a new viddycard for my wife's Socket A board so I picked up this 7600gt agp card and a zalman vf900 cu viddy card cooler because the reviews all said that the stock cooler was poopy and the card couldn't handle the temps over the long haul. What's the best way (easiest/safest) to get the stock cooler off the card?

(edited)

PCI-E 2.0 is completely backward compatible but it sounds like your card is bad. Since you can probably no longer return it for a replacement (if you can do it) I would suggest buying the same card and then reeturning it in that package since you have never used it. Then just get a refund - restocking fees. It's not really unethical because you have not used it.

If you are just stuck with getting a new card you can get this one cheap : $175 if you need cheaper look at the same series card you have.

Edited by Preacher

(edited)

Thanks for the info Preacher and zd. :) Now, anyone have any great ideas about how to get a stock hsf off of a viddy card w/o damaging the card?

nm, I'm an id10t. figured it out. resume your normal activities. >.>

Edited by Wolfsblood

If it's just "glued" to it, slide a credit card between the edge of the hsf and the vid card then use a flat head screwdriver to slowly pop it off. This was the advice I got from nVidia tech support some years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
If it's just "glued" to it, slide a credit card between the edge of the hsf and the vid card then use a flat head screwdriver to slowly pop it off. This was the advice I got from nVidia tech support some years ago.

It weasn't even glued. I found the screws and the thing just came off. Honestly, I think it was about the same size as the hsf on my old 100MHz pentium...... felt like plastic too...... ick. Way to go cheap eVga. Glad I read the reviews on Newegg and got the zalman vga cooler for it.