Cant restart - need some help plz

Laz.e.rus

Hey guys. I only restart my rig about once/wk unless I update or something. Last time, about a week ago, I restarted and it wouldnt come back to windows. First it would stick at the blue bar (Win XP), the bar would keep cycling but it would stay there forever.

Or Id get to click the account, type the password, then Id get a flash of BlueScreen with a lot of letters (1/10th of a second flash no idea what is there), and it would restart again.

I CAN restart to safe mode at any time. I CANT load last good settings.

After many things (checking cords, unplugging electrical appliances on same circuit, disabling, adding some more juice to the cpu, loosening my ram timings, tapping my heels together and spinning in a circle), I finally get it to come back but all of my system restores are gone (ALL of them), and my clock is about 4 hours off. Weird!

So anyway, I think I have it solved. Its been 5 days or so, I DLd some windows updates, restart the machine... Boom did it again.

Same as before, took me about an hour, Im back in normal windows, and all of system restores are missing.

HDDs are clean, error free and defragged. I tried a windows repair from cd, but I cant even do that because I get the message that the version I have is newer than the one on cd.

Im stuck. Im running 1.4575v to my cpu now (I dont like to go over 1.45), and even though Im sure thats not it, Im afraid to restart and kick it back down to 1.425 incase I dont recover from it.

Anyone have any ideas at all? This is making no sense to me.

Coming back to full windows seems almost random. Maybe it will stick at the running blue bar, maybe it will BSOD after my account password - ( this WILL happen when I try last good settings), maybe it will load up.

Same ole stats:

Win XP home - fully updated

AMD Opteron 165 running at 2.75 Ghz

2 gig OCZ gold pc 4000 @ 250ish (rated 3484-12, running 3585-16)

OCZ GameXtreme 700 (or 750-whatever)

8800gt (dualslotted cooler)

2x 80 gig hitachi's raid 0 with a 20GB C partition and 130GB E partition

1x 300 gig somethin er other for H:

Dvd burner on D:

2 ghost drives on F: and G: tied to E: (Daemon)

AVG = clean

spyware = clean

Updated = sp3? I've stayed away from that because I'm afeared of it. At first I was going to ask about the HDD, cause a bad one did that to me once. It only does it after you update you said though, right? I'd say they somehow have to be related, if that's when it always happens.

your windows install is corrupt is my guess.... You can patch it, fix it and repair it all day, but nothing gets back to normal like a good ole format. Get a new hard drive install onto that and use your current drive as a slave if you don't want to wipe your current hd clean.

Unfortunately, this is the rig Im using for college... for ALL of my online courses.

So, unless someone knows something fantastic, I guess I just don't restart my computer until January....

(oh, yes, sp3 and everything else you can think of)

Removing the HDD and reinstalling windows means yanking TWO drives (in raid0) and tossing about 100 gigs of software, much of it I can't get again :(

I've installed XP SP3 on 2 different boxes and the only "bad" thing that came of it is that the "Address" bar you can add to the Task Bar has been removed. I found a replacement with MuvEnum though so it's alright.

If you're going to lambast SP3, maybe you should give some specific reasons as to why you suggest not installing it.