Build or Buy?

TheFirstMonk

Heh, thanks for that link, Preacher. Per gigabyte, that deal is better than the 500GB, but I didn't buy it because I'd be pushing my budget. ;) Very tempting though...

I was looking for a cheap Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit to buy and found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...6-488-_-Product

Is this a good purchase? I read that the OEM version does not allow any upgrades of the computer in terms of hardware, and it is non-transferable, meaning it can only be installed on one machine. If it's not a good idea to buy it, does anyone know where I could get a good copy of Vista Home Premium?

Also, does this method still work?

http://www.software4students.ie/How_To_Cle...VD-article.aspx

I'm not advocating that I should try something like this *cough* , but I was wondering if it still works (according to the article, it does, but I feel better asking tech experts here. :wavey: )

Thanks for any help.

That's a very good price and yes that does still work. You can also select the upgrade windows, enter the cd key and it will ask you to enter a previous version of windows cd. You pop it in (win2k, xp doesn't matter) it checks to see what it is and then asks you to reenter the vista CD. Then it just goes like normal instead of installing it twice like that other method does.

Cool. I'm pretty sure I still have a copy of XP somewhere. I might try your method instead.

So theoretically, if I were to clean install using the retail upgrade version of Vista Home Premium 32 bit, and then request a 64 bit disc of Vista Home Premium from Microsoft using the key from my retail upgrade copy, they would send me a disc free (although with shipping and handling)? And I would just pop in the 64 Bit disc and upgrade?

That's the impression that I get from this:

http://forum.soft32.com/windows/Retail-32b...pict363820.html

I bought most of my computer parts, and they should be here in the coming days. If assembly/ installation goes horribly wrong, I'll probably send it all back, but I think I'm learning a lot of stuff from you guys and from what I've read online.

I suggest getting the 64bit version. With today's PCs there is no need for a 32 bit environment unless you have a particular program that will not function specifically with vista 64 bit. There just aren't many out there anymore. The only ones I know of won't work with vista 32 bit either.

I suggest getting the 64bit version. With today's PCs there is no need for a 32 bit environment unless you have a particular program that will not function specifically with vista 64 bit. There just aren't many out there anymore. The only ones I know of won't work with vista 32 bit either.

Definitely 64 bit. I've been running 64 bit Vista for over a year without a single crash as of yet