Overclockers out there?

So I tried to overclock my q9550 from 2.83Ghz to 3.0Ghz, nothing big right?

Wrong. It won't even boot at 3.0ghz. Right now I have it at 2.906ghz at voltage 1.208V. I haven't changed the voltage cuz ive seen that lots of ppl can overclock to like 3.6ghz or better at only like 1.24V.

My memory is rated at 1066 speeds, so I've always had them at that in the bios. When i try for 3.0ghz, it auto changes it to like 1133 or something close to that and wont boot. So i thought ill change it back to 1066 when it does that, but still wont boot.

Won't boot at FSB 353mhz at 8.5 multiplier but will at 342 x 8.5.

This is very sad I can't get it any higher, am i forgetting to change something in the bios? What can i do? I'm not looking to go higher than 3.0ghz, just right there and i thought that shouldn't be very hard with this processor.

My system specs are in my signature to see what I'm using. Any suggestions? I'm kinda frustrated.

Also my FSB:Dram is 2:3. Shouldn't that be like 1:1 for best performance? How do i get this.

Edited by samurai nightling

I have the same mobo, and I think it's finicky (sp?) with voltages. I currently have my cpu @ 1.31v @ 3.93ghz.

You could try bumping up your voltage on the ram (go to the manufacturer's website and find the max they let you without voiding warranty, then work your way up to that if need be but not over).

I'd check the other settings around the voltages that deal with ram performance and overclockability.

Maybe the fsb voltage is too low? Here are what i have mine set at (Asus P5Q Pro)

CPU = 1.31

PLL = 1.5

FSB = 1.2

North Bridge = 1.3 or 1.4

The rest is on "auto".

Oh, my ram is set to 2.1v (1066 OCZ Reaper)