Stream processors or gpu speed ?

Clueless

I am seeing alot of good deals on video cards right now, but they are confusing....there are a few that are within 10 to 20 bucks of each other, all having other perks such as free games or memory combo deals, or just a good old fashion rebate, but the specs are making it hard to choose.

I am looking at 260 series nVidia offerings and I am noticing the differences being in core clock speeds which are ranging from 575mhz to the mid 600's..which is easy enough to figure, but then they throw in the spread of stream processors ranging from 192 to 216 in the price range i am looking in. The question is...which is better? I can't find a card with both for what I want to spend, so given the choice, how would you educated guru's choose?

575mhz clock speed with 216 stream processors?

626mhz clock speed with 192 stream processors?

One last thing....please verify that this thing is better than the 4870, everything I read seems to say so, but damn, there are some SWEET deals on 4870's right now...

Actually I have seen gaming benchmarks that show the 4870 as an equal or better than the 260 and in some cases the 280.

Please, gimme some links to do more reading because I have a hard time finding review sites that aren't bloated with worthless crap....or full of it.

The only difference between the original 260 and the new core 216 is stream processor count. The old chip has 192 and the new has 216. The new core is only marginally faster so i figure its worth an extra $30 over the chips.

Depending on the company and the card the 260s are clocked at different speeds, just get a cheapy and overclock it. :)

Actually I have seen gaming benchmarks that show the 4870 as an equal or better than the 260 and in some cases the 280.

I studied this before I bought my card last week and yes, sometimes the ati 4870 is faster then the 260/280. And sometimes its slower. Depends on what site review your looking at and what rez/aa the benchmark is running. The 260 I bought was $75 cheaper then the 1gb 4870 so i went the nvidia route.

I don't know how they come up with the chart. I would assume there are a couple factors. But this is what I go by...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon...ics,2086-7.html

And this would be the most popular benchmark with recent cards tested....

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-...-Score,794.html

I personally haven't looked at getting any new card's recently so I don't know the price per performance you can get out of the newer cards, but I can tell you, unless you want to play some Extremely Intense graphic games on Extreme settings then that is the ONLY reason to get a 280 260 or 4780. If you just want to play games like CSS or L4D or COD4, all you need is an 8800 or equal.

If you just want to play games like CSS or L4D or COD4, all you need is an 8800 or equal.

Agreed, I get 60+ fps in those games with my 8800gt. Fallout3 the on the other hand, I'd like to bump up the res, fps, and run on ultra high quality. But my wifey is making me wait till Christmas before I get to install my 260 gtx. :( humbug

Went with the 260, it's clocked at 626mhz or something, but just the 192 core, couldn't find anyone that said the 216 was a significant change.

Also to update on my other thread, along with this, I bought an E8400, 4gb of gskill ram, and a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R mobo. The eVGA video card came with Farcry 2, and the other stuff had some rebates, so all in all, I feel that I did pretty good.

The bummer is that I won't even see this stuff...bought it all for my dad and had it sent there where my mom will intercept and wrap it for Christmas....oh well, he deserves it....I guess i'll just muttle along with my 8800GTS and my Black Edition AMD OC'ed to the gills....still running everything I need it to.

Thanks for all the input!