Direct X 9.0c and Vista 64 Bit

TheFirstMonk

Sorry if this topic has been posted before. I tried the search option in the forums, but I think I'm typing something wrong because nothing really shows up for my search. :shrug03:

I have Windows Vista 64 Bit as my OS right now. One or two older games (not built for Vista for either the 32 or 64 bit versions) that I am trying to install request that I install Direct X 9.0c, even though Vista comes with Direct X 10 (I checked mine with dxdiag to make sure.) I've tried searching on the web for a solution, and some posts say that I should have no problem if I install Direct X 9.0c along with my existing DX10; in other words, they can exist together even though I get a message saying that "DX 9.0c will install over the latest version of DX (that I have)." I tried installing an older game without installing DX 9.0c, and the game wouldn't run, so I know that it needs to be installed, or I have to run it in compatibility mode. Or both of those options.

I wanted to check with you guys since I'm sure some of you probably ran into the same problem before and solved it. Btw, I always install programs and games with administrator rights, so that's not an issue. Thanks for any help.

I had a few issues trying to get FarCry to run on Vista 64-bit. I finally downloaded the 64-bit patch for it, and now it runs smoothly.

What games are you trying to install? Someone may have already had some experience installing and running them.

On a side note: I wish that Microsoft would not say that each new version of windows will be backwards compatible. They never are very seamless at this, which I would think would lead to a lot of frustration for their customers. If it is going to have some major issues with software made for previous versions (XP, 98/2000/NT) just tell people!