sound hardware

TheGeek

I'm looking to buy a good pair of headphones.

I'm 90% sure I'll be getting the sennheiser HD595 headphones. Everybody said that they have a good range of sound. But they also said that I could get better sound if you get an amplifier.

My question to you guys is, what's a good sound card to get that also acts like an amplifier?

I do have a stereo with a 200 watt amp powering 2 speakers, but its over 15 years old and its tired.

Please tell me you're not thinking about hooking up headphones to a 200W amp. I would think 4W per ear would already be a lot of power.

I use a pair of HD280 plugged right into my sound card (SB Live! 5.1). Master volume at 50%, WAVE at 7%, then beyond that play CSS at .2, WinAmp -20 dB, and VLC usually at 25-62% depending on how loud the source audio is. Basically what I'm saying is that with nothing but my 5-year-old sound card, I have things turned down to about 1% of "max" volume. I don't know how much of an amp is on this card, but my guess is that it's nothing special.

The amp is really a stereo. the 200 watts go to two subs and two speakers. so the amp wont blow my eardrums out.

the reason i think i'll need an amp is because i looked at sound comparisons of audio coming from the speaker with both amped and non-amped streams. the audio quality is better because of the high 50 ohm resistance.

i wont be using the sound card or amp for volume. i just want the best setup for sound quality. which everywhere i look it says the quality is better with an amp.

There aren't soundcards with built in amps (you wouldn't want them anyways, they would be huge and would heat your system like two 4870's couldn't dream of).

Anyways, you'll be hard pressed to find an amp that actually tells you the impedance on the headphone jack. Even then the impedance on headphones is nominal, which really just means that it's a general level that the product is known to withstand.

I'm of the school of thought that the older and heavier an amp, the better the sound. Most newer amplifiers sacrifice power for functionality or just aren't that great compared to their predecessors.

You can find headphone amps but they're generally geared towards guitarists and live sound recordists which means they're expensive (or designed to take high distortion, which you don't want).

I would just have a look at 2 channel amps from companies like Pioneer or you can try out these or if you're feeling crazy (read: rich) you can try something from these guys