Aftermarket Upgrades

samurai nightling

Have any of you bought after market upgrades, such as a catback exhaust, cold air intake, or a new computer chip to boost the horsepower of your car? I wanted to know if you actually notice a decent performance gain to where it would be worth buying it, and whether it was hard to install like the cold air intake yourself or if you need to have someone else install it all. Do those things cut back on your gas mileage pretty hard though?

Have any of you bought after market upgrades, such as a catback exhaust, cold air intake, or a new computer chip to boost the horsepower of your car? I wanted to know if you actually notice a decent performance gain to where it would be worth buying it, and whether it was hard to install like the cold air intake yourself or if you need to have someone else install it all. Do those things cut back on your gas mileage pretty hard though?

cobb access port for my car cost about 800 bucks. stage 1 flash made a significant difference in performance and no added fuel consumption.

It depends on what mods you do. Generally, for the minor mods, you won't notice any difference. A CAI might add a few hp, but it's not like you're going to be driving a new car. If you're doing major mods - like a turbo/supercharger - then you will notice a difference. But that's also $$$.

So what's your motivation for tuning your car?

cobb access port for my car cost about 800 bucks. stage 1 flash made a significant difference in performance and no added fuel consumption.

English for a semi-non-car person please! lol

And my motivation is that I'm probably getting a new 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS in like 2 days, and i was thinking of boosting the hp just a bit with a CAI. I don't have the money to buy or insure a Ralliart or Evo, so i thought boosting the GTS just a bit would be nice if it doesn't cost more then a couple hundred bucks. It comes stock at 168hp/167 torque.