Router Hacking

ZesteR

I just got into messing with routers and am having a lot of fun modding them.

I only have three routers -

WRT54GS v7 - DDWRT micro

WRT54GL v1.1 - Had OpenWRT 7.09, now has Tomato

La Fonera+ 2201 - Had OpenWRT, plan on putting Gargoyle on it, so I can mess with Jasager (utilized Karmetasploit)

Anyone else do any hacking or modding?

I'm going to school for networking and when I'm done with my bachelor's degree, I want to get a master's in Network Security.

So I've been setting up the routers to install tools I can play with on my network.

Jasager, Karmetasploit, Kismet, Wireshark, Netstumblr are just a few I play on learning over the summer.

Oh yea. I still play TF2 when I get free time :P (not enough to admin the old server :\)

You really should secure that open wifi you've got going :P

Don't want the feds knocking on your door for something that some perv was looking at on your network lol

What verision wrt54g do you have?

my 54gs v7 is one of the later versions. GS meaning speed boost, which I dont use. but I only have 2MB of flash memory, hence the micro version. Not even enough room to have micro plus on it, which gives you ssh.

so I set it up, locked it down, and don't play with it now. just let it do it's job while I mod my wrt54gl instead.

I put DDWRT on my ancient Linksys at home so that I could use it as a wireless adapter for my XBOX 360....works really well....and, I might add, that router works better than it ever did with Linksys firmware on it when in router mode.

The best part of the whole story? I didn't pay a ridiculous $100 for Microsoft's WiFi adapter made for the 360.....always a plus.

In addition, I modded another newer Linksys router with DDWRT so my father-in-law could have a wireless adapter for his BluRay player...also pretty slick. I LOVE DDWRT...makes the router as versatile as it should be to begin with....

its v8 with wpa2-personal enabled, plus MAC filtering. i'm talking when i get 10,000 peers from a public torrent, or my usenet goes nuts.

sheesh. unsecure wifi.

someday stutters, u will get ma jokes. someday.

yea i also use wpa2-personal. no mac filtering because i just finished configuring them. With the micro ddwrt firmware, i can only telnet into it, so I dont want to have to keep adding mac addresses when I add a new host to the wifi.

The whole 10k peers def. will do a number on ur linksys. prob. moreso the hardware is being pushed to it's limits rather than the firmware, you agree?

Also, being that it's v8, only 2MB of flash memory, you also have the micro verison? I believe it fills up around 1.7mb of the total flash.

I put DDWRT on my ancient Linksys at home so that I could use it as a wireless adapter for my XBOX 360....works really well....and, I might add, that router works better than it ever did with Linksys firmware on it when in router mode.

The best part of the whole story? I didn't pay a ridiculous $100 for Microsoft's WiFi adapter made for the 360.....always a plus.

In addition, I modded another newer Linksys router with DDWRT so my father-in-law could have a wireless adapter for his BluRay player...also pretty slick. I LOVE DDWRT...makes the router as versatile as it should be to begin with....

That's awesome you!! Helping ppl out and saving $ is always a win win.