Chrome OS - why no discussions here?

stutters

this is l'OLD by now.

my takes:

- this will compete with osx (~linux/bsd with a better windowing system), especially since apple hasn't talked about releasing a netbook. if linux was built with a more intuitive ui (shutup about ubuntu, it's not), i think it'd be more widely adopted than it is.

- also competes with windows (win7, gazelle (pdf link) and their oem relationship with netbook vendors

my hopes:

- native iscsi support - load the kernel from the web

- a better package management system to preserve the ux (ie, a lesson learned from android)

- that webkit (osx, chrome os) creates a better opportunity for SaaS and PaaS

thoughts?

I'm having a Fireworks week so I'm more or less ignoring news...but

if linux was built with a more intuitive ui (shutup about ubuntu, it's not)

Are you saying ubuntu isn't linux or ubuntu doesn't have an intuitive ui...if the latter I'll take that as a compliment to my intuitiveness (or intuition...w/e)

GC Alumni

your intuitivetinesses is right on. the ladder latter.

also, still, no matter what zd tries to convince me of, the gui breaks apart at speed. it's a cute little proof of concept, but for mainstream? no.

also, still, no matter what zd tries to convince me of, the gui breaks apart at speed. it's a cute little proof of concept, but for mainstream? no.

I dunno...I found it to be very straight forward...if you wanted to make it all crazy futuristic with the cube stuff it might be more than the average user can handle.

Otherwise if you just want an OS that you can do basic stuff with, write documents, save pictures, make spreadsheets etc I think it's fine. It's just not the same as Win/OSX...I feel like I'm still missing your point though

I cannot comment on Chrome OS until it is available. Chrome OS will be based on Linux so do not expect something too overly different from what is already available such as Ubuntu or the other 100+ distributions. The GUI may be different and may be very similar to Android but that is only speculation. Also, Ubuntu already has a great Netbook version of the OS called Ubuntu Netbook Remix. http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-netbook

The UI is really nice and easy to use and it is light weight. Try it out before you dis it. Google has a lot of catching up to do.