thinking about picking this up

NOFX

No. Just wait for L4D 2 if you want to give it a shot

Agreed. I'd wait a couple months (assuming L4D 2 is released as scheduled in November) and see what effect, if any, L4D 2 has on the L4D community before choosing one.

Whether or not you decide to get L4D 1 now, don't buy it full price; I'd wait for it to go to half price (~$24.99 or lower). Don't get the Game of the Year Edition either; I don't recall any significant advantage you'll get for paying extra for it.

• 2 weeks later...

To me the game was a waste of money....there are not nearly enough maps/campaigns and it just gets old rather quickly. I played for about 2 months and then maybe for a week after they released the survival mode....it was fun at first but gets old rather quickly

if you play a friends match, it can be endlessly awesome.

its no different than playing de_dust2 for the billionth time. It allows for variation. And I am glad I got it half off months back. L4d2 makes me worried about how quickly it will destroy the community though.

if you play a friends match, it can be endlessly awesome.

its no different than playing de_dust2 for the billionth time. It allows for variation. And I am glad I got it half off months back. L4d2 makes me worried about how quickly it will destroy the community though.

I'm pretty sure their betting everyone will migrate from 1 to 2.