NEW TV

Shropshire Slasher

Decided to upgrade my Living Room TV.

Moved up to a 55" Samsung. It's one of the new LED side-light TV's.

So far it is nice, but I'm still in evaluate mode.

I went into BB to pick up the 52" Sony XBR9. It was ridiculous on sale. Like 1200 off the "regular" price. I'd been shopping this TV for the better part of a year, and felt it was time to buy, with the price and 3-years no interest. But then I saw this set and had to make a decision.

The image is good, but I'm checking on some image issues some users have complained about. I'll wait until I've spent a few days with the set before I finalize my opinion.

One cool thing is that I did hook up my laptop on the screen and play a little CS:S at 55". :) It was fun, but not really any better than playing on the monitor. It was the easiest time I've ever had hooking up to a compy to a TV. I had an DVI-HDMI cable in the basement, for some reason, and it all hooked up and synced nicely. This wasn't true with all panels 2 years ago or more.

I believe i also got that TV, in the 40" version. The new LED Samsung from BestBuy. I really like mine alot, and my PS3 hooked up with HDMI without a hitch and its the best time I've ever had playing my PS3. BluRay DVDs look absolutely amazing, sharpest picture ever, with great contrast. I got the 40" on sale for $1499.99 from its regular $2099.99 or something like that. Only thing i noticed, which might be an option i have set wrong, is that my PS3 games run at 1280x720 @60hz instead of 1080 @120hz. I don't know, ill have to mes with the motion blur settings and see if it ups it to 120hz. All in all I am very happy with the quality of the TV and picture.

Edited by samurai nightling

I believe i also got that TV, in the 40" version. The new LED Samsung from BestBuy. I really like mine alot, and my PS3 hooked up with HDMI without a hitch and its the best time I've ever had playing my PS3. BluRay DVDs look absolutely amazing, sharpest picture ever, with great contrast. I got the 40" on sale for $1499.99 from its regular $2099.99 or something like that. Only thing i noticed, which might be an option i have set wrong, is that my PS3 games run at 1280x720 @60hz instead of 1080 @120hz. I don't know, ill have to mes with the motion blur settings and see if it ups it to 120hz. All in all I am very happy with the quality of the TV and picture.

A lot of PS3 games are only 720p... so unless you have a game that claims 1080 output, you are getting what you should.

Yeah, the screen is BEAUTIFUL. Not necessarily better than the 40XBR4 it replaced at my home in terms of PQ, but beautiful nonetheless. Look up "flashlighting" and "dark corners" and you can see you have any screen issues. Not something you see in every instance. Mostly in all black or all white scenes.

SS

I just bought myself a Samsung 40" 530 for $979 after taxes at the end of August to keep my sanity in Emo. It is now my monitor (I hook up both), as well as tv for my 360, and monitor for recording with my mac. I enjoy it a lot, though it's not as nice as yours. Enjoy!