iPad Poll of Certaintude

Flitterkill

Apple Fight!  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My feelings about this device seem to evolve daily.

My current thoughts are:

The idea of a coffee table device that aggregates media/control could come to pass: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1221657 for instance.

Getting this device down to a Sub-$500 dollar entry point may have been quite an accomplishment. I realize my statement above that this device needs to be even cheaper (eventually) and this last statement seem incompatible, but are both true IMHO.

It is also this last statement that explains in my mind the use of many very "un-apple" like dongles/adapters to add what many of us feel were core functionalities.

I have to be honest, I wish I had the disposable income to buy an entry level model when they come out. Not so much because I have the "need", but rather the curiosity to try it out and see how it can evolve in uses. If they add the kinds of software for home automation/AV control it sounds like are coming, I may have to break down.

• 3 months later...

So, I know this is an oldish topic, but a buddy of mine got one and I love his take on it (I don't know if he stole this from somewhere else, but I liked it).

"The iPad is the Tom Cruise of technology. It looks good and does some things well, but is overpriced, unnecessary, and tries to lock you in to an unbelievably crass belief system."

fred wilson, a venture capitalist* based in nyc, recently had a change of heart towards the iPad.

So I've changed my mind about the iPad and tablet computers. In my initial review, I focused on capabilities. And tablets are stuck between the power and utility of the notebook and the size and features of a smartphone. But they also create a middle place in terms of usability. And that is what I missed in my first day with the iPad. It feels less like a computer than any computing device I've owned. It's easy on me in a way that the other devices are not. So I'm now convinced that tablets will have an important place in our homes and our lives.

i had one for about a month. i think wilson is right about it serving a role between a laptop/netbook and smartphone, and is a lot easier to engage/detach from. worth $500+ for it? i don't think so, but i do like the idea of a device like this.

* and may or may not have more disposable income than us