New Puppy

samurai nightling

Thanks everyone, after some reading last night i did decide i wont smack her butt for peeing in the house, because at this age she cant control it no matter what anyway for more than an hour or 2. I have been giving her treats when she goes outside, its just gonna take time i think. As far as intelligence stutters, german shepherds are the 3rd smartest breed, according to wikipedia lol. That's why they use them on police forces etc. I can tell she is smart from playing with her but i think training-wise, things wont soak in for a month or 2 because shes just so young, even the smartest dogs don't learn much too early on.

The newest thing I have to deal with is her being scared of the 4 dogs next door, one of which really doesn't seem nice, and i don't even like. I know i cant take her to public places yet since shes missing 2 shots, but im having my sister bring over her 1 year old dog to get her used to other dogs just a little. Whenever she hears the dogs next door bark she sprints for the house or the bedroom whether shes inside or out with me. lol such a scaredy cat.

When you go out for walks and the dogs are out, pretend like they dont exist, and act like you own the block. Best advice for being around those dogs, because if you're "feel" scared or uncomfortable around those dogs your puppy will either a, be afraid too and they'll think of her as weak, or b, try to attack them. It's also a good idea to train the dog to walk with your, and not force you to talk at its pace.

lol i was waiting for Nofx to show up with his video.

lol.. well I made a new one about 2 days ago. When they re-encoded all the youtube videos it really messed up my old one. Plus you can actually see him get it now.

Congrats on the puppy Phil! Real cute :)

I have 2 guys, a pug and a pincher/cihwuawawawawwa mix. My gf couldn't stand the crying at night when they were puppies, so they both sleep in the bed with us. Of course, they aren't even half the size of what your dog is going to be lol :D

I never restricted my dog from getting on my bed, like she hangs out with me when I'm watching TV or playing video games... now she jump into bed with me if it's scared or cold... it's rare It's not so bad when it's cold but she's a golden retriever and has no idea how big she really is. I'd get trampled... if she decides to move around and she pants when she is scared it shakes the bed. :twitch:

Mine is very good about being up on the bed, I let her do it a lot but if I've got a girlfriend over she'll sleep on the loveseat I have at the foot of the bed.. I just keep her in my room with me so if she does need to be let out over night I can hear her and don't have a surprise on the ground in the morning lol

Jake never gets on the bed. He's 85 lbs and likes to sleep in the middle. I will let him up there when I first go to sleep, but he always hops down about 10 minutes later and gets in his bed.

Yeah, I'm thinking so far that she can stay in the bed, but we will shortly get a pillow bed for her at the end of it on the ground and start getting her used to it. She had her first long car ride yesterday, 2 hours to and 2 hours from Columbus and she slept the WHOLE way both times. She was so good, wasnt even in a crate in the car, just slept on the back seat. Must of been comforting to her.