Word to the wise

samurai nightling

When your thinking of digging in your backyard, ya know like if you want to build a deck, or in my case add some stairs to an already existing deck, call the "Call Before You Dig Hotline" I had gone to Lowes with my brother in law, we bought a few hundred bucks worth of stuff i was going to need for my steps, and then we got to work measuring etc etc for where they would be. So i start using post diggers in the spots we had marked, which btw are a good 10-15 feet away from the rear of the house, in the middle of the yard basically. Well after i have half of one hole done i hit a huge rock, and with nothing to break it up with yet i decide ill just start on the second hole for the time being. Well about a foot down i hit something, and i notice its black. It was my phone line. I'm lucky i even have internet right now because i have DSL and i guess its running on a separate line or something. Anyway now the phone company cant come fix the line until Tuesday, and on Wednesday I'm having all of the lines in my yard marked so i know exactly where they are. The requirement for electric lines is that they be at least 36" deep, and we're digging to 30" for the posts. I'm not risking hitting the electric lines and dying. So if you ever think about digging, even in the middle of the stupid yard, make sure u have the lines marked first. It's free so theres no reason to not do it. That's my fun story of the day, enjoy.

lol jackie. And yeah, seriously though, if you ever do plan on digging in your yard, have them mark the lines first, its free. It just takes 2 business days for them to do it so call ahead. Had i struck the power lines and not the phones lines i prolly wouldnt be on here telling you guys this, I'd be in the hospital or dead most likely.

(edited)

My brother hit the water main and was fined $1000, then the whole street (about 15 houses) had to do without water for 2 days. But hey he really needed that pole for his flag to be right there lol

1-800-dig-rite ftw

Edited by Preacher

lol that sucks for your brother, sorry to hear it. I actually got really lucky, Cincinnati Bell fixes the lines outside of your house for free, even though it was my fault. The guy just came and finished about 15 minutes ago and for now, he layed some temporary line down that runs under the deck instead of around the outside of it like the line i hit. And he said he would put in a work order for them to come back and lay the permanent line where the temp one is and bury it for me. He just wasnt going to spend the 2+ hours himself burying line. He said it could be up to 30 days but for now the temporary line above the grass works.