Server status

PYRO

Hey guys - long time no see. I have been playing on and off lately, and I must say the server runs so poorly compared to how it used to be. Registration seems horrible even with a solid ping with a 50/10 internet connetion. Also, the quality of the people pretty much make me not want to even visit anymore. Teams seem constantly stacked, just so people can have their good score. Really sad to see.

Seriously? We've had more than a few CSS folks pay up as GC contributing members recently and the server overall had been climbing the rankings for the first time in a long while.

You're the first to (recently) chime in with team complaints as well.

Were any GC on the server?

All I have heard recently is good things about the CS:S server, minus maybe registration for some. I think to be fair, you might want to post what days you usually get on, how often, and what time of day. That could narrow it down a bit to see why your experience seems almost the complete opposite of most peoples view of the server.

All I have heard recently is good things about the CS:S server, minus maybe registration for some. I think to be fair, you might want to post what days you usually get on, how often, and what time of day. That could narrow it down a bit to see why your experience seems almost the complete opposite of most peoples view of the server.

I usually only ever get on after 10pm Eastern and the day varies. I tend to play on a couple of other servers that perform much better for me with lag/registration, but sometimes drop in for a few maps. Is the lag issue from the admin plugin you're running as my pings to the server are in the low 30's?

I think there may have been a few issues with the admin plugin, but mookie would definitely know more about it. I wish i had played more CS:S recently to see what my reg is like now, but i know the last few times i tried it just isn't what it used to be. But for me it all started with the big update when they added the killcam etc etc., which was a long time ago. Things just never felt the same.

Hey guys - long time no see. I have been playing on and off lately, and I must say the server runs so poorly compared to how it used to be. Registration seems horrible even with a solid ping with a 50/10 internet connetion. Also, the quality of the people pretty much make me not want to even visit anymore. Teams seem constantly stacked, just so people can have their good score. Really sad to see.

be honest with yourself, is it our server or is it every server? this is one of them rhetorical questions, so if you answer it, i'll edit it with cute cat pictures.

...seriously, i took a major sabbatical from css. the amount of updates (and the significance of them) that came out over the past year has been insane. one or more of those hit client rate settings, server rate settings, and other fun. time for more tweaking...

(edited)

The server just doesn't run very well for me, I have tried different rates and such. I am not sure where retro is located, but I believe it is closer than the other servers I frequent. They are located in Texas ~1500 miles away, I live in Maryland.

Edited by PYRO

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

i have to subscribe to the registration thing... it is horrible... and i play a lot and at mixed times of the day... i saw tons of "zero" registration from nades flashes and smokes...not to mention bullets... the only reason i keep playing in here is because i love the community... the ppl in here are absolutely great. i play in other servers too... not so much problems like in here, i'm not trying to be (b)itchy... just saying whats my experience.

Edited by Andros

So much of your performance is going to hinge on your routing.

And honestly? You can play on one server in Chicago and have it be fantastic and on another in Chicago and have it be miserable. And it probably is not the server itself.

Clueless has/is going through this as well. He's got one hop that is just crap. Pings North of 250, drops packets, etc. Oh sure, the ping to the game server ends up fine (sub-100) and as such getting any one anywhere to change the routing to the server will be "difficult". But that one bad hop for is just killer for FPS games. And it sucks.

Give this a whirl: http://www.pingplotter.com/downloads/pngplt_1.exe

Let it cook for a few minutes, watch the route and see if there is a hop or two being difficult. Do the same for a server you know you play well at. See if there is a difference. Lot of changes to CSS with the last major update; not saying we aren't missing something on our end, but the truth is numbers on Retro are up a bunch, the source based L4D2 is rocking stupid hard right now - on the same server too so...

Well im going to say the registration is also horrible most of the time for me as well. I've played a few times now recently, and while i don't play like i used to, it feels horrible compared to what it used to feel like. How many people do you need to say this before you maybe realize it's not just each individual person? Not that it really is the server, but let's not totally rule it out.

Also you cant compare the L4D2 server to this game. L4D2 can be just a tad laggy, and you will never notice it because of the way the game plays. In CS:S, the slightest amount of lag will mess up a shot but it wont affect you in l4d2 at all.

Edited by samurai nightling

Oh, stuff is already under consideration for the server one way or the other. Honestly if this is going to play itself out correctly we need a handful of regs we know to adopt the same config files for their clients, get on vent and then play and discuss. Then swap out to another config (there are a bunch of hosting providers who have posted various client configs for CSS claiming everything has changed with the rate limiting and such with the newer CSS) and see how that goes etc. Mandatory pingplotter records as well.

Yeah, a pain in the posterior but if we are going to do this we should do it right before changing IPs, servers, etc.

Complaints about registration are appreciated. We just got done looking for a difference between Mani and Sourcemod (the two major admin plugins) in terms of server performance over a few weeks, unfortunately with no result. That means that other options are now being considered, as the performance for Retro is not really holding up after the June 26 update (server-side framerate cut in half).

If you know of specific servers of a similar size (over 20 active players) that definitely (and consistently) play better, please PM me to let me know which ones specifically. The only one I've heard so far is the Fish. Being able to look at how these servers are set up in terms of OS, plugins, and some cvars may be very helpful.

If you can run a trace and post it that would be interesting as well, to see if there are routing issues common to players who are not getting good registration.

Is it difficult to change configs? If it's not, maybe switch between the 2, and do a blind test, then ask people on which nights they felt reg was better.

It depends on what you mean by configs. We did this (except not blind) with the admin plugins. It is a bit of a hassle to change the admin plugins, as the second one needs to be configured once (takes quite a while for SourceMod to get it set up the way you want), and all the admins of course need to be aware of the change because the commands are named differently. Changing a variety of server cvars is not difficult at all, but you have to know which ones are likely to effect registration (there are a lot of cvars, type 'cvarlist' in console sometime). Most of the cvars that effect registration (interpolation, rates, etc.) are configured on the client side.

Most of the cvars that effect registration (interpolation, rates, etc.) are configured on the client side.

This. And it may be why so many people are complaining as they haven't yet adjusted client-side to the recent Valve-induced fun thinking their previous configs are fine. They're probably not.

Thought: New thread for folks to share pertinent cvars in their client configs and to discuss? As in "I have this and the server plays great". "Well I have this and it plays like crap"

etc.

Yes, I'd be very interested in that discussion too. I am currently just running some random config I got off the internet (casey's config). Can't really tell if it's improved my reg or not both before and after moving to SourceMod.

has anyone ever played on a server where someone wasn't complaining about registration? it's an easy scapegoat for someone having a bad night.

just saying.

I've played in many servers where no one complains about the registration and the users are well aware of CVARs such as cl_interp etc... Even the times I'm dying a lot at least I'm still landing shots and doing damage. I mean in all fairness the retro server says about every 10 min "please note any registration issues". js...

Most of the cvars that effect registration (interpolation, rates, etc.) are configured on the client side.

This. And it may be why so many people are complaining as they haven't yet adjusted client-side to the recent Valve-induced fun thinking their previous configs are fine. They're probably not.

Thought: New thread for folks to share pertinent cvars in their client configs and to discuss? As in "I have this and the server plays great". "Well I have this and it plays like crap"

etc.

This is actually a great idea.. I'm on a new rig and have everything back to default minus rates. It would be nice to have a solid thread to go to to help everyone out.

etc.

This is actually a great idea.. I'm on a new rig and have everything back to default minus rates. It would be nice to have a solid thread to go to to help everyone out.

sup?