AGP running at 2x instead of 4x

Slaphappy

Dweez eveytime i start up windows i get this VIA bus master IDE driver thing coming up saying it found new hardware and needs to install drivers. I have looked and looked but can find no drivers that will make what ever this thing is happy.

What I was worried about was that my AGP drivers on MB needed to be reinstalled/updated.....But I can't for the life of me find out where they are or how to update them

I have AGP drivers on the cd that came with my MB. but there is no way to auto install them...and when I look under system devices in the Device Manager this is what I see

buch of stuff yadda...

VIA Tech CPU to AGP Controller

VIA Tech CPU to PCI bridge

VIA Tech PCI to ISA bridge

I've tryed updateing drivers and pointing them to the AGP drivers on the cd but it never sayes they are the right ones...

If I read correctly from the previous posts, you have a Shuttle AV18E v.4 motherboard. If that is correct, you might try the 4in1 drivers from the following page. If that doesn't work, you might also try the Win2000 ATA100 IDE Driver but the bus master issue should be resolved by the 4in1 if anything.

http://www.shuttle.com/new/support/download/dwn.asp

If I didn't get your Mobo make/model right, please post it.

yes that is my MB. I downloaded drivers....Installed them...Still running at 2x still get the bus master hardware found.

I tryied the win2000 ata100 thingy....when I restarted it went to a blue screen evey time Till I loaded the las good config.

One thing I noticed about the 4 in 1 drivers is that they were for win 2k...is it possible then that they are not XP compatible....If this is true one would think that they would have XP drivers yet they don't....

I'm try very hard not to let this really frustrate me....I'm not sure i'm winning that battle

Yeah, I noticed there were no specific WinXP drivers. Typically, W2k drivers will work for WinXP because XP is actually just a minor "upgrade" of W2k so I don't think this is the problem. It might be possible though that a previous wrong drivers was installed and there is still remnants behind that is mucking up the works.

(edited)

ok now i'm just flat out....lets see in the words of seal "tinkled off" hehehe but seriously What do I do next I mean I could try intalling win 2k but I really don't want to do that. Is this really it. AM I just screwed here.

Edited by Slaphappy

Ok I got a my first reply form the suport people, here it is:

Dear User,

Could you please try to contact with your reseller or retailer directly ? because we have finished the same test before, and really sure it work fine under all of windows system.

Regards.

Now what am i suppose to say to that. Umm ya it's the hardware we can't do anything contact the person you got it from. AHHHH I WANT BLOOD