Minecraft GC Community Project

boiler

I'm soooo glad to have the GC minecraft server back, and it seems that most of us have been busy getting new stuff built up and homesteads established. One thing that I would like to see happen again though would be a larger "community" project. Thus far, I have felt that while the whole point of a multiplayer server is to interact with each other, thusfar it has mostly felt like I've been doing my usual things by myself on a map that happens to have other people in it as well. Sure, pleasantries are exchanged upon joining, and of course there was the epic demolition of amertrash's trap, but we need something to bring us together, kind of like the railway project from two maps ago.

I understand a big reason this hasn't happened already is that everyone needs to get their own setups established first, but I thought we could get some brainstorming done in here so that when the time comes, we can get rolling on something epic.

Starter Idea:

A large mob battle arena!

With all of the experienced mob trap builders we have, how about we take the spawning aspects of it, and instead of dropping the mobs into a grinder, we drop them into a obsidian-floored arena and let us grind out some XP against enemies that can fight back! I think this would be a much more entertaining way of gaining XP than the standard grinders, plus we could have audience seating and everything.

I think this would be an awesome group project. If anyone else has any other ideas, post them here! Let's make our permanent map EPIC!

colosmodel2.jpg

Something like this?

I agree 100% on building something epic. Like you said everyone was trying to get a base of operations down and play with the new features before building to much.

Could always go with a castle of some kind with a large village with several houses/windmill/roads/streetlamps/whatever.

Though if we could collect enough moss stone and stuff a haunted castle would be pretty cool.

Edited by Hailfire

Actually, the coliseum is kinda what I had in mind. I would like for this arena to be decent size with armory/locker room, stadium seating, and a mob delivery system. I've already talked with amertrash and jehoshaphat, who have ideas for the mob stuff.

If a town happens to spring up around the arena, so be it.

We also REALLY need a rail system at some point. I'm thinking the arena could be a central hub for the rail system as well.

Yeah a rail system would be good, If we do build the Coliseum we should place it near/around spawn. Its the most central location for all of us I think that is not taken. Maybe even start building the rail system first or its gonna be a lot of walking.

In order to get it to scale correctly it would have to be massive, which would look pretty darn cool.

Almost everyone here has played MC longer than I have so I'll leave it to you guys to figure out how to go about starting a project of that size and scale. Just let me know what you want me to do.