Mega Upload is no more.

ZeroDamage

And this was without SOPA/PIPA. From what I understand, they weren't in the US and were arrested abroad. As well as their servers were not housed in the US, yet the US government arrested them. Were they breaking law, yes. Am I comfortable with how this played out, no.

I may be just talking out of my hynee though so feel free to correct me (as if I'd have to ask :) )

And this was without SOPA/PIPA. From what I understand, they weren't in the US and were arrested abroad. As well as their servers were not housed in the US, yet the US government arrested them. Were they breaking law, yes. Am I comfortable with how this played out, no.

I may be just talking out of my hynee though so feel free to correct me (as if I'd have to ask :) )

Has nothing to do with SOPA/PIPA, DHS's ICE has seized hundred's domain names with no warrants/court/due process, including multiples one which weren't doing anything illegal and waiting for a year to return them with no money paid for lost profit. http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/12/ice-admits-months-long-seizure-of-music-blog-was-a-mistake.ars, one of many examples. SOPA/PIPA will allow copyright holders to claim infringement and have an entire website taken down with no due process, example if I linked to the Pirate Bay they could seize the entire GC domain without warning, even if I provided a link to a link to a link to a link that eventually ended up in "pirated material". Currently copyright holders have to issue a DMCA(which you should have written your senator/house member about when it was up) take down notice and the website has so much time to respond to fix it. I'm sure everyone has seen youtube videos that are no longer available because of copyright infringement, that is from DMCA notices. Even better SOPA/PIPAs wording is very ambiguous as to what could be done with it, due to our congress's complete and total incompetence when it comes to anything technology related("It's not a big truck, it's a series of tubes" ring a bell), rather just listen to the copyright lobbyists and push forward a bill that they wrote. The same lobbyist groups that tried to make TVs, VCRs, cd/dvd burners, cassette tapes illegal - any form of new media which they felt would threaten their bottom line, the same reason you pay a tax on every blank CD you buy that goes to the RIAA.

Side note, what MegaUpload is accused of is all kinds of bad and I'd say true. Here is a good explanation: http://www.reddit.com/r/SOPA/comments/oo5px/the_real_deal_with_megaupload_put_down_your/

What the heck, I am tinkled. I had legal things I had on megaupload, specifically user generated stuff that I cant get back.

I prefer tinkled.

No, no, I said this was all done WITHOUT SOPA/PIPA... Implying this will only get worse if they were to pass.

But you're right, even so much as linking to a TBP torrent or stating 'how to' do torrenting would be against SOPA/PIPA.

And they could shut us down with an accusation alone.

And ever since that congressman made that 'series of tubes' comment I've always called it the intertubes. They have about as much knowledge about technology as I have about neurosurgery. But I don't make the rules for surgeons.