Bimmer beaten?

Chief

I was at Border's yesterday and saw Car & Driver and it has the M5 and M3 losing to the Audi offerings. Wow. Twas surprised because the motoring press has been so madly in love with those two for quite a while. The Audi S4 with that big ol' V8 sounded like a joy though. I'm going to be excited to see one in real life...maybe try to get a ride!

Chief Ratu Udre Udre

Yes, the auto mags have had about a 15 year love affair with BMW. However, the high end luxury/sports market is more competetive than ever now. Infinity has shown that it's offerings (G35) have an even better overall value than BMW's 3-series.

And yes...Audi has been increasing their competetiveness greatly for about the last 8 years or so. The new S4 is the latest and greatest offering and it promises to give even more than the M-3. Audi has performed a technological coupe de grace by shoehorning a small V-8 into the little A4. With the quattro system and unparalleled interior amenities, the S4 would be right at the top of my wish list.

An Audi that got less recognition (I dont know why) is the 450 horsepower S6 back in 2002, (similar size to BMW M-5) which definately gives the M-5 a run for it's money and offers Audi's impressive Quattro all-wheel-drive system. The A8 has been a great alternative to the 7-series Bimmer for the last 7 years, with the edge going to Bavarian Motor Works, imho.

I thing Audi is why BMW is putting together a V-8 M3.

Also, keep your eyes on VW, I predict they will have some nice sporty offerings within the next 7 or 8 years, they have been moving upmarket very quickly over the last 8 years or so.