So I am ditching Verizon Wireless for StraightTalk

ZeroDamage

I know I know.. I imagine some people are saying wth!?!?!?!?! Well, what I did was review how much data that I use on a monthly basis over the last 6 months and I rarely if ever go over 200MB in a month. I am always piggy backing off work Wifi or I am using my wifi at home. The only time I use data is on my drive (Trapster) and maybe look at Facebook while out to lunch.

So this is what I did in full. I am upgrading to the new Galaxy Nexus unlocked phone that google is selling at google.com/nexus.

Straighttalk.com are now selling SIM cards for phones that you already have and depending on your area, you can go with either a SIM that uses the T-mobile network or the AT&T network. AT&T has the better network if not necessarily the fastest. StraightTalk will give me HSPA+ speeds, unlimited texting and voice for $45 a month. And if it sucks, I will switch over to T-mobile directly or with AT&T. My wife and I both have a smart phone with Verizon and the total cost is $190 a month! How insane is that to pay for mobile phone? That is around $95 each after taxes. At $45 a month I cut my bill in half and I will still not be locked into a contract.

From what I've seen, the AT&T network and even T-mobile have decent coverage in my area and they both cover my commute each day. I will know in the next few days when I get all of my stuff. The phone tomorrow; the SIM on Monday I think. Wish me luck! I hope it works!

I can't see that working....Verizon uses CDMA and LTE,, where T mobile is GSM, and a very specific band. Hspa+ is used by T mobile and partly by at&t...who also uses gsm, different band tho.

The radio in a verizon phone should not function on any other network, so if it does work, I'm curious as to how they accomplish it.

I can't see that working....Verizon uses CDMA and LTE,, where T mobile is GSM, and a very specific band. Hspa+ is used by T mobile and partly by at&t...who also uses gsm, different band tho.

The radio in a verizon phone should not function on any other network, so if it does work, I'm curious as to how they accomplish it.

Not getting a Verizon phone. I am getting the unlocked GSM phone straight from Google. It is the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

My wife txt'd me to tell me that my SIM showed up today. My phone is still out for delivery and I should have that today too. I will get to play with it tonight I hope. Hopefully today will be the last day that I have to use Verizon's over priced service.

Just a follow-up on the phone. It works amazing! The coverage is about the same as I had with Verizon with some coverage areas that Verizon failed while on my commute. The test will be my drive home tonight; I plan to call my mom and see how long before the call drops.

The battery life is amazing on this thing. So much better than my previous phone. I spent the day yesterday texting back and forth, checking facebook, reading my Kindle book, browsing the web. At the 15 hour mark, I still had more than 50% battery. My last phone would have required me plugging it in or it would have died. Right now at work - no charge yet today - I have 83% battery. This is with me checking FB, playing with some apps, texting some, reading the news, reading some of my book at lunch, etc. My Incredible would be around 30-40% by this time in the day without a charge. Impressive so far. Not bad for a $400 phone (iPhone 4s without contract on Verizon is $650) and a $45 month plan that covers everything.

I had the same revelation and went with Virgin Wireless. I needed less than you but for $40 I get 1200 min and unlimited data/text and my phone was $50 from ebay (Samsung Intercept). Not the best phone but for $50 it makes calls and is easy to text with. I check email and such from time to time but 90% of my phone usage is traditional telephone calls and texting so I'm happy. Sprint was going to pop my bill up to around $135 for 2 phones sharing 800 min so I dropped the contracts and went with Virgin. After a year it's still the best deal (although I think it costs $45 for new folks now)

(edited)

I got in on the republic wireless beta. Gotta buy the LG optimus for $199, but then it's $19 a month for unlimited text, data and voice with no contract. The catch is that you have use wifi as much as possible.. which a lot of us do anyway.. I currently have the $60 no contract Tmobile unlimited. I hardly even use voice anymore.. monthly cell service is way overpriced

Edited by NOFX